First flying eagle cent! 1858?

TECTONATOR

Round on the Ends & Hi in the Middle = OHIO
Took the day off work because my son was home from college. We hunt regularly together and it was a beautiful day. Got permission to hunt a couple old homes but didn't have much luck (found the junk ring and small button).
We had about an hour before we had to be back, so we went to our summer honey hole (old church playground) where I had found an 1877 half dollar. I was only there about five minutes when I pulled the 1914 Buffalo nickel. Few minutes later, I found the Flying Eagle...it was only about 4" down! I screamed like a little girl...I've been hoping to find one. Then I found a big loop button and the 1901 IH penny before we had to leave.

Here's the question...what do you think is the date? I'm seeing 1856. I have only cleaned it with water under the faucet. My son thinks it is 1858. The loop on the 5 looks just like the one on the 1856. But, considering only around 500 are known to exist, the odds are I've got an 1858. Opinions?

Attachments

• ENTI RE HUNT2.jpg
    ENTI RE HUNT2.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 129
  • GROUP OBVERSE2.jpg
    GROUP OBVERSE2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 129
  • GROUP REVERSE2.jpg
    GROUP REVERSE2.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 129
  • FLYINGEAGLEOBVERSE2.jpg
    FLYINGEAGLEOBVERSE2.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 132
  • FLYINGEAGLEREVERSE2.jpg
    FLYINGEAGLEREVERSE2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 131
  • FLYINGEAGLEDATE2.jpg
    FLYINGEAGLEDATE2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 128
Cool flying eagle. That would definitely make me want to fly like like an eagle and do my happy dance. Congrats.

Unfortunately, the coin looks like some little kid chomped down with their teeth...tiny little indentations, are going through the last number.
After some research, though, I'm convinced now that this is a small letter 1958.
Still, I can cross the FE off my bucket list! :)

Back
Top Bottom