Well I decided to leave someone a suprise

As for the grades i was refurring to thats how i based my decision, they only start showing high value in grades now later down the road you will see g-4 grades and such, 1963 and 1964 will have little to no value as there are just sooo many found in circulation... as for 09 Lincolns i do save some until i have a bounch of them then i will possibly sell the non possible key date ones (3/4 series)

As for the grades i was refurring to thats how i based my decision, they only start showing high value in grades now later down the road you will see g-4 grades and such, 1963 and 1964 will have little to no value as there are just sooo many found in circulation...

Yeah, I'd base my hoarding strategy strictly on mintage figures. There were more 1964 nickels minted than all the other years prior combined. (Almost 2.8 billion 1964 nickels were minted!!)

I don't think any amount of years will make a coin more valuable, until you start talking hundreds and hundreds of years. It's more about scarcity, i.e. how many were minted. Just study the mintage figures. For Jefferson nickels in the 1960s, I'd keep 1960-1962 in P mint mark only, and 1968. That's because those varieties were under 100 million mintage each. Even those will take a long time to be valuable, and probably only in real nice condition.

Those buffalo nickels aren't valuable just because they are old and the design is different, it's because they weren't minted in the huge quantities that the next designs were minted in. Buffalo nickels had an average overall mintage of about 18.5 million per year. Some years much less, some years much more.. but that's the rough average. Compare that to Jeffersons at an average overall mintage of 327 million per year. So Jefferson Nickels overall, on average, were minted 18x as much as buffalo nickels ever were, per year. That is why buffalo nickels are generally worth a whole lot more than Jeffersons. (Plus it was a bad design that resulted in dates wearing off, making ones with readable dates even more scarce). If they would have minted over a billion of any date buffalo nickel, I doubt that date would ever in your lifetime be worth more than 5 cents. It doesn't matter how cool or different the design is.... there would be enough of them that they just wouldn't have much numismatic value. It's about scarcity combined with condition. You have a good idea of the condition, but if I were you I'd re-evaluate scarcity of dates if you are going to hoard them with the idea of them gaining value.

Do some CRH and look at all the dates you find. I just finished a box of nickels, and there are plenty of all sets of years out there. I got a handful in the 30s and 40s, plenty in the 50s, and bunches and bunches in the 60s. There were lots of newer nickels, but old dates even into the 40s and 30s are not uncommon at all. They just made too many of them.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to help shine some light on it. I talked to the guy at my coin shop today and he agrees 100%.

Most of my Jefferson nickel collection was handed down from my grandfather to my father to me. The whole thing isn't worth much at all, and it probably won't be when my kids hand them down to their kids. There are a few dates that are worth a little, but it's because they were LOW MINTAGE.

For nickles its a possibility the only one from the 60s to have value would be the 1960 not denver, I put my cap to 1962, another few years and that will tell if they will be worth keeping, Also for 2009 nickles i find a small handful every time usually so they aren't that rare..

(I have only 10$ or so of 60-62 nickles anyway)

As for the pennies from the 60s i am sill undecided, i'm thinking of getting rid of my 63-64 years as i have way too many, someone on ebay will probably buy them for the copper value, although i'll keep the low circulation ones.

Also don't forget that the wheat pennies people back in the day thought would be worthless and now are a min of .10 each.

For nickles its a possibility the only one from the 60s to have value would be the 1960 not denver, I put my cap to 1962, another few years and that will tell if they will be worth keeping, Also for 2009 nickles i find a small handful every time usually so they aren't that rare..

(I have only 10$ or so of 60-62 nickles anyway)

As for the pennies from the 60s i am sill undecided, i'm thinking of getting rid of my 63-64 years as i have way too many, someone on ebay will probably buy them for the copper value, although i'll keep the low circulation ones.

Also don't forget that the wheat pennies people back in the day thought would be worthless and now are a min of .10 each.

Actually at my coinstore they sell them in bulk for.05! :) Might be able to sell them higher on ebay, but i doubt much higher.

Yeah, I'd base my hoarding strategy strictly on mintage figures. There were more 1964 nickels minted than all the other years prior combined. (Almost 2.8 billion 1964 nickels were minted!!)

I don't think any amount of years will make a coin more valuable, until you start talking hundreds and hundreds of years. It's more about scarcity, i.e. how many were minted. Just study the mintage figures. For Jefferson nickels in the 1960s, I'd keep 1960-1962 in P mint mark only, and 1968. That's because those varieties were under 100 million mintage each. Even those will take a long time to be valuable, and probably only in real nice condition.

Those buffalo nickels aren't valuable just because they are old and the design is different, it's because they weren't minted in the huge quantities that the next designs were minted in. Buffalo nickels had an average overall mintage of about 18.5 million per year. Some years much less, some years much more.. but that's the rough average. Compare that to Jeffersons at an average overall mintage of 327 million per year. So Jefferson Nickels overall, on average, were minted 18x as much as buffalo nickels ever were, per year. That is why buffalo nickels are generally worth a whole lot more than Jeffersons. (Plus it was a bad design that resulted in dates wearing off, making ones with readable dates even more scarce). If they would have minted over a billion of any date buffalo nickel, I doubt that date would ever in your lifetime be worth more than 5 cents. It doesn't matter how cool or different the design is.... there would be enough of them that they just wouldn't have much numismatic value. It's about scarcity combined with condition. You have a good idea of the condition, but if I were you I'd re-evaluate scarcity of dates if you are going to hoard them with the idea of them gaining value.

Do some CRH and look at all the dates you find. I just finished a box of nickels, and there are plenty of all sets of years out there. I got a handful in the 30s and 40s, plenty in the 50s, and bunches and bunches in the 60s. There were lots of newer nickels, but old dates even into the 40s and 30s are not uncommon at all. They just made too many of them.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to help shine some light on it. I talked to the guy at my coin shop today and he agrees 100%.

Most of my Jefferson nickel collection was handed down from my grandfather to my father to me. The whole thing isn't worth much at all, and it probably won't be when my kids hand them down to their kids. There are a few dates that are worth a little, but it's because they were LOW MINTAGE.

Well i got rid of almost all my 64s, the ones i kept was cause it didnt amount to an even roll :) $8 of 64s. lol. too many of them minted, also not keeping nickels that are 72 and younger.

Good point, but I wasn't talking value, I was talking about finding them in circulation. I go through boxes and boxes to find a buffalo or 2. I have never found a V nickel in circulation and while I agree that lower mintage sometimes means more value, I don't think value is the reason you rarely find even a dateless buffalo in circulation. Collectors want AU/BU coins and well worn old nickels hold little value at all, yet you still can't find even the most worn old coin. They are gone because when anyone sees them, they grab them up. People who don't collect coins and have no idea what a buffalo nickel is still grab them up when they see them. Why? because they are old and different. thats the only reason. This is why I think the old style Jeffersons from the 30's, 40's, and maybe 50's will be worth more than a nickel in my lifetime. If I'm wrong, I'll just take them into the bank and I have lost nothing.

Good point, but I wasn't talking value, I was talking about finding them in circulation. I go through boxes and boxes to find a buffalo or 2. I have never found a V nickel in circulation and while I agree that lower mintage sometimes means more value, I don't think value is the reason you rarely find even a dateless buffalo in circulation. Collectors want AU/BU coins and well worn old nickels hold little value at all, yet you still can't find even the most worn old coin. They are gone because when anyone sees them, they grab them up. People who don't collect coins and have no idea what a buffalo nickel is still grab them up when they see them. Why? because they are old and different. thats the only reason. This is why I think the old style Jeffersons from the 30's, 40's, and maybe 50's will be worth more than a nickel in my lifetime. If I'm wrong, I'll just take them into the bank and I have lost nothing.

exactly! though not sure about the 64s :laughing:

exactly! though not sure about the 64s :laughing:
I don't keep any nickels from the 60's, but I have well over $100 in nickels from 38-59. If they are worth .10 in 40 years, I doubled my money.

When I started, I saved all 60's nickels and I found that when I went through boxes, I was keeping well over 25% of the box and I just didn't want to store that many nickels, so I took in all the ones from the 60's. Much more of a challenge to find 30's-50's. 60's are everywhere.

I don't keep any nickels from the 60's, but I have well over $100 in nickels from 38-59. If they are worth .10 in 40 years, I doubled my money.

When I started, I saved all 60's nickels and I found that when I went through boxes, I was keeping well over 25% of the box and I just didn't want to store that many nickels, so I took in all the ones from the 60's. Much more of a challenge to find 30's-50's. 60's are everywhere.

yeah

When all said and done, I think the only coin to be valuable from the 60s will be the 1960 Philadelphia, i might find 1 of these per box if i'm lucky, i usually find more 2009 nickles. Until that point i will hold on to the 60-62 currently most valuable predicting, if they turn out to be valuable everyone will save them that likes coins, i will have a head start with a lot from these common days.

Its almost like the canadian pennies, to save or not to save

Eventually when my safe starts running out of room from the good stuff i will probably just keep the low circulation coins.

After all there is no large penalty for keeping them other than inflation.

I had a feeling, i am saving the canadians for a few years to see what the outcome will be, if its still the same price i'm releasing all the modern ones again.... my guess is they will be worth as much as the Australian Pennie no longer made.

KT has had a few rolls of no date (highly worn) buffalo nickels in the past, but found a buyer for those non-numistmatic coins...Who you say??? Believe it or not, I had a fellow give me $1.50 in trade for every one I had...He was making buttons out of them for decorative belts....I got one of his nice belts, along with a dozen key chains with buff nickel buttons and a few other goodies from his shop....I had about 5 rolls and walked out with over $100 in merchandise...nice stuff I could give away as gifts! Folks have really liked those items and the Queen still has hers on her Royal Keyring! :laughing:

Unfortunately, The King's waistline went from 36 to 42 a few years ago and the belt is now in storage! HA HA

I agree with AMC, I just recently dumped about 3,000 nickels from 1947-1960 because I finally finished my collection.

Just imagine what it would be like if everyone released their wheat or Indian pennies... they would be as common as the 60s nickles at least.

That'd be awesome! Then i wouldnt have to spend $3+ per IH to fill my book!

Back
Top Bottom