Soon off to the bank for another 2 boxes of halves today....

well my skunk streak is over! I had to go to an out of town funeral today and after we stopped at a bank and I asked them if they had any rolls of halves. They had $100 worth and I bought them all...........I actually found 2 40% halves.....wooHOOOOO!!!
first CRHing silver of 2012

Congrats ! That's good to hear...always good to break a dry streak!

Can you tell me what banks have coin machines? My banks don't have them.

My suggestion is to contact some of the banks in your town by telephone...just look them up by telephone. Ask which of their branch banks have coin machines. Find a bank with several branches that have machines. Then go into one of the branches and open an account...say savings...around here if you hold a $200 balance, then you will pay no fee. With that account, you can most likely get free use of the coin machine. The reason you want a bank with several machines in different branches...you want a bank to buy from and one to dump into. That way the bank will not easily recognize what you are doing. You are simply exchanging money...and that does not make them money. But it is not an illegal practice. My buy bank orders coins on Tuesday so I have to call them on Monday to put in an order...then go by Thursday afternoon to pick them up..delivery to the bank is on Thursday around noon. I pay with cash. Then sort the coins that evening....it takes me around 2 to 2.5 hours...I burn through them in $100 increments, and rebag in plastic freezer bags of $200 each, so I end up with 5 bags...The coins come rolled and in boxes. I take the coins to the dump branch where the coin machine with the first dump being on Friday and the second on Monday. Then call and order more coins, etc to complete the cycle. Fortunately my wife, The Queen, had a stash that she lets me use from for the buying....my profit is the silvers I find and her profit is the extra coins the bank's machine gives me!

KT,
Thanks for the information. I went in to another bank today, just to check the lobby, but there was no coin machine. From what I hear, they are costly to maintain. I will take your suggestion, and call around to see if anyone has them.

I went to my bank to get some halves and they said they can't order them. They only had 32 bucks worth of them and they were all above 71'....why would you not be able to order halves? Doesn't make sense to me...no pun intended.

Picked up 2 boxes of halves 100.00 in nickels, 200.00 in dimes and 20.00 in pennies yesterday. Went through a 140.00 of the halves last night and nada. Did pick up a nice 44s war nickel and a very rare 50d nickel (my second) and a 60d rosie. No wheats. Will post tommorrow after I go through some more,

It took me awhile, but I found a bank that has coin counters. I plan on opening an account soon.
I went through $300.00 today of halves, and dollar coins. Got nothing-nada, zip.

I went to my bank to get some halves and they said they can't order them. They only had 32 bucks worth of them and they were all above 71'....why would you not be able to order halves? Doesn't make sense to me...no pun intended.

KT has no idea! KT suggests you talk to the bank manager...ask them when they order coins and when do they arrive. Better be a well known bank customer first tho. Tell the manager you have a business idea you wish to try out for a few trial runs that involves your need for halves, or quarters or dimes or whatever you wish to search. Do not tell them you are looking for silver coins! LOL

The manager will be interesting in assisting any start up business, especially since if it successful you will be dealing with them! You could do this at a branch that has no coin machine. Locate a branch of the same bank that has a coin machine....and use them to drop. You will eventually become known as a regular at both banks...at one you will be the buyer and the other you will be the seller of your coins!

Don't try that at the same branch! They will know what you are doing eventually and you will be barred from the activity as it does not pay the bank any fee for their time of fooling with it! So long as both the buy branch and the dump branch feel they are benefiting....then it can continue. Also, do not do it on a large scale...like $3000 every week! They will realize on both ends that something is up!

KT was lucky with his dump bank to find out from a teller that many many customers come in and dump $1000 of $s periodically...that is why KT dumps $600 one time and $400 the second time...not so conspicuous!

KT has no idea! KT suggests you talk to the bank manager...ask them when they order coins and when do they arrive. Better be a well known bank customer first tho. Tell the manager you have a business idea you wish to try out for a few trial runs that involves your need for halves, or quarters or dimes or whatever you wish to search. Do not tell them you are looking for silver coins! LOL

The manager will be interesting in assisting any start up business, especially since if it successful you will be dealing with them! You could do this at a branch that has no coin machine. Locate a branch of the same bank that has a coin machine....and use them to drop. You will eventually become known as a regular at both banks...at one you will be the buyer and the other you will be the seller of your coins!

Don't try that at the same branch! They will know what you are doing eventually and you will be barred from the activity as it does not pay the bank any fee for their time of fooling with it! So long as both the buy branch and the dump branch feel they are benefiting....then it can continue. Also, do not do it on a large scale...like $3000 every week! They will realize on both ends that something is up!

KT was lucky with his dump bank to find out from a teller that many many customers come in and dump $1000 of $s periodically...that is why KT dumps $600 one time and $400 the second time...not so conspicuous!

Thanks for the info KT!

Did I read on this forum one time about someone buying a bag of coins from the coin counting machines at their bank?

Asked one of the assistant bank managers I know about buying a bag; he's checking for me. Hope to find out something before too long. Would be nice to search a "natural" bag and see what's there.

TB

This post is for those who are purchasing around $300 or so in halves....

KT is afraid you are drawing blanks cause you are not running enough coins to get in the silver!

Here are the results of my two runs....first 2 $500 boxes...that's a $1000 folks....1 40%er.

Second run of a $1000....4 40%ers...that's better.

Now the surprize! 3rd run of $1000....so now that amounts to 6000 coins searched total....and...drumroll....

On this batch I got 8 40%ers AND 4 PROOF coins ...Not silver ....but beautiful and with numistmatic value...To see the pics, you will have to wait til this evening when I can get home and get pics of them....KT will post it in a NEW Thread in here He will title: CRH Results of the 3rd purchase of $1000 halves by KT...look for it! Coming very soon! :laughing::laughing:

What KT is trying to get across here is to find what you are looking for, you got to run through VOLUMES of coins, not a few dozen rolls! To hunt 2000 halves now, it takes KT only about 2 1/2 to 3 hours and that includes unwrapping them, sorting them, and bagging them for return to the drop bank. Unwrapping is a pain in the keister, but KT uses a pair of stout needle nosed pliers to grab the edge of the wrapper and with a twisting motion rip the paper roll wrapper apart, dumping the coins into a plastic container large enough to hold 10 rolls of loose coins. He then moves to the couch and starts sorting with a table lamp over his left shoulder so he gets a good reflection on each coin. He has an empty same sized container in his lap and pulls coins from the unlooked container a few at a time and starts the search...takes a bit to get the sequence of how to look down but it comes pretty fast with a bit of practice. Every second time KT does this, He goes and washes his hands because you never know where these coins have been!

Well, time to leave work and head home to start CRHing some quarters this evening after posting the new Thread! C ya!

Did I read on this forum one time about someone buying a bag of coins from the coin counting machines at their bank? TB

I just checked with a local bank and they said come on down...they have $488 dollars worth in the bag. They are actually holding it for me until Monday. What service!

Back
Top Bottom