I tried my luck again

I just read this in the COMMENT section of the Coinflation page..

All of the silver "Ike" coins were minted at the San Francisco Mint in 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1976. These coins were either uncirculated or proof. Uncirculated coins came in cellophane with a blue plastic token in a blue envelope. Proof issues came in a proof set-like plastic case in a fancy brown wood colored box with a gold seal on back. The uncirculated coins are referred to as 'Blue Ikes' and the proofs as 'Brown Ikes'. Coins minted in 1975 and 1976 for the Bicentennial come with the quarter and the half dollar of that year. The uncirculated coins were sold by the Mint for three dollars; the proof version for ten dollars. Two varieties of the dollar were produced in 1976 and can be distinguished by the thickness of the lettering. [ ? ]

I'm begging you, read the preceding paragraph again. For the love of everything holy, read every word. If you typed "silver Eisenhower dollar value" in your search engine, you may end up here, but it does not mean your coin has any silver in it. Most Eisenhower dollars don't, especially if it's worn and circulated. The best way to distinguish the two versions is by weight. The copper-nickel version weighs 22.68 grams, the silver Ike dollar weighs 24.59 grams. Please visit the clad version of the Eisenhower Dollar page if you have a circulated, worn dollar.

I just read this in the COMMENT section of the Coinflation page..

All of the silver "Ike" coins were minted at the San Francisco Mint in 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1976. These coins were either uncirculated or proof. Uncirculated coins came in cellophane with a blue plastic token in a blue envelope. Proof issues came in a proof set-like plastic case in a fancy brown wood colored box with a gold seal on back. The uncirculated coins are referred to as 'Blue Ikes' and the proofs as 'Brown Ikes'. Coins minted in 1975 and 1976 for the Bicentennial come with the quarter and the half dollar of that year. The uncirculated coins were sold by the Mint for three dollars; the proof version for ten dollars. Two varieties of the dollar were produced in 1976 and can be distinguished by the thickness of the lettering. [ ? ]

I'm begging you, read the preceding paragraph again. For the love of everything holy, read every word. If you typed "silver Eisenhower dollar value" in your search engine, you may end up here, but it does not mean your coin has any silver in it. Most Eisenhower dollars don't, especially if it's worn and circulated. The best way to distinguish the two versions is by weight. The copper-nickel version weighs 22.68 grams, the silver Ike dollar weighs 24.59 grams. Please visit the clad version of the Eisenhower Dollar page if you have a circulated, worn dollar.

what a day changer :mad: thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it, hey at least I got a silver half, not a total loss:roll:

Bruin -don't feel bad. I had the same thing happen to me last week.
After I weighed them, I knew I had nothing special.
I just got skunked on another $300.00 of halves, but I'm not giving up.

Dont feel bad, I have been CRHing for 4 yrs and still have not came across a silver IKE

If you read the very last sentence of the Coinflation article...at the bottom of the page, you will find they say that those Ikes were printed for collectors and are not in circulation...they are talking about the S mint Proof Silver dollars! KT applauds your enthusiasm but would suggest you take them to a local coin dealer to determine for certain that they are silver...KT seriously doubts they are!

Just read the comments about about weighing the coins to know if you got silver...very useful info....sorry you went bust this time but keep searchin! It ain't that easy to find the goodies as it was 10 years ago!

If you read the very last sentence of the Coinflation article...at the bottom of the page, you will find they say that those Ikes were printed for collectors and are not in circulation...they are talking about the S mint Proof Silver dollars! KT applauds your enthusiasm but would suggest you take them to a local coin dealer to determine for certain that they are silver...KT seriously doubts they are!

Yeah, JBEXPRESS pointed that out to me also, Thanks KT! By the way, your posts about CRHing is what motivated me to give it a try, Thank you!

Yeah, JBEXPRESS pointed that out to me also, Thanks KT! By the way, your posts about CRHing is what motivated me to give it a try, Thank you!

KT is honored by your comment! Just keep trying on the CRHing, bruinvikes...you will make some good hits! Remember KT is running volumes of halves to get his few coins...so far 4000 looked at and 5 40%ers recovered...but that's 5 more than KT had when He started this year! :lol::lol: That is only 0.125% for his recovery....:roll::roll: But it was quick and financially painless, and The King loves handling that much money! Must be in his Royal Blood for his Father was Head Teller at the main bank in Hot Springs AR from 1922 to 1948...The King was born in 1949! LOL He used to tell me about all the gold coins he handled in a day at the bank! And never even mentioned that all the currency during those years in dimes, quarters, halves and dollars were silver! :lol::lol:

KT is honored by your comment! Just keep trying on the CRHing, bruinvikes...you will make some good hits! Remember KT is running volumes of halves to get his few coins...so far 4000 looked at and 5 40%ers recovered...but that's 5 more than KT had when He started this year! :lol::lol:

That's how I look at it too Brother! May you be blessed with an entire box of silvers upon your pickup tomorrow! :yes:

I believe the S-mint 1971-1974 Ikes are 40% silver, since they were never released for circulation. However, the rest are CuNi clad.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom