• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Galveston Island?

couch mt

I'm thinking about heading down towards Galveston
this weekend to check out the beaches there and points south.
I need a small vacation really bad & some time
beach hunting.
Anyone have any experiences there? Good or Bad?
Cheap Motels? Inexpensive restraunts?
Thanks..

I'm thinking about heading down towards Galveston
this weekend to check out the beaches there and points south.
I need a small vacation really bad & some time
beach hunting.
Anyone have any experiences there? Good or Bad?
Cheap Motels? Inexpensive restraunts?
Thanks..

Galveston was my old hang out in my younger days. I know it's changed a lot since then. I also hit Port A. and Goose Island......

Dusty

Beach

Dusty with all those nuggets in your back yard,you want to hit the beach:?:,must be for a vacation,one day i would love to nugget hunt,not much Gold here Earl:(

I was there several years ago, did not find much of anything, about 50 cents in clad coins. Had a great time doing it.

Expect a whole lot of trash. Just Google.. 'Hurricane Ike photos' and you'll see what I mean. On the other hand, hundreds of ocean-front houses and their entire contents were washed out to sea then re-deposited back on the beach. I would think that there is quite a bit of good stuff still waiting to be found. On the down side, they truck in sand to build up the beaches for the tourists.
Galveston has a lot of shipwreck and pirate history that might be worth checking out. Galveston is also a very old city, I would definately go to the historical society and do some research. Old bank and school locations, hotels, etc...

Thanks for the replies.
planning on heading down sunday
for a couple days and take my chances.
Got some information that the fellow
that owns' the property that Lafittes' fort
was located on, HATES MD-ing & TH'ers.,
so....
will just be playing in the sand...

Lots to do down there, amazing amount of history. Most of the relics are many feet below sand, but you can find some some stuff on the beaches.

1. If you are hunting with your Ace 150 stick to the dry sands. Those things stink in the salty water.
  2. Make sure to eat at Guidos. Best seafood around.
  3. Most of the beaches are relatively new, meaning sand has been dumped in from the gulf. That is mostly bad (could have scooped up some treasure from the bay, never heard of it...There is also a massive amount of iron and other trash under the surfaces in many locations. Count on discriminating out as much iron as possible.
  4. The weather is great out there this weekend :)
  5. Try to make time to go out to the Bolivar Peninsula, even after IKE it is very nice. If you fish there is Rollover Pass that way and San Louis on the opposite end of Galveston (south). San Louis can be a good place to MD too. You do have to pay a toll to cross the SL Pass, 1-2 dollars.
  6. Having been pounded with hurricanes Galveston is an island with a lot of really deep history (as in now buried in under many feet of fill in an attempt to raise the island level). Look for areas of construction where the old stuff gets revealed. Hurricane damage from 1900 http://www.rosenberg-library.org/1900storm/slide_06.htm(cool slideshow by the Rosenberg Library)
  7. The historic strand is one older area and mostly now a shopping district. Lots of cool stuff to see there.

Have fun! Get some sun!

Bag is packed, detector & tools in the back pack.
lots of extra batteries, new sand scoop...
truck is filled with gas.. ouch!!!
oh yes, camera too, may get lucky enough to
find something worth posting pix of...
not sure where all I'll go, a couple days in the
Galveston are, then maybe the Biloxi/Gulfport in Ms.

as mentioned above, anything of true historic value is well washed away or buried far beneath the sands or built over. There are many historic places in galveston which won't even let you take photographs inside, much less get near properties with detectors. Stay away from the state park as it encompasses much of the inner island and beach fronts. Guido's isn't the best place to eat in my opinion... Willie G's on the strand is nice... but then again everything in Galveston is owned by Landry's corp. anyway.

Look to find more modern treasures than anything in Galveston...

Just make sure where you decide to hunt that it is allowed, ask a ranger or a police officer before hunting....HH!

Back
Top Bottom