• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Musket ball?

Payne

I found this ball in a field today. I am pretty sure it's a musket ball but I would like to be sure. If it is then I will stay in the field for another day or two.

Attachments

• 2011-01-07 19.50.32.jpg
    2011-01-07 19.50.32.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,500
  • 2011-01-07 19.51.33.jpg
    2011-01-07 19.51.33.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,132
Did you try a magnet? I'm no expert but to me it is too perfectly spherical. I found what I thought (hoped) was a musket ball until I got home and stuck a magnet to it :(

I tried a magnet and it didn't stick plus its very heavy. The top and bottom are pressed in a little.

It might very well be a musket ball then. Keep searching the area, might find some other relics.

Trying to judge the diameter by the piece of tape you have above it, it appears to be less than 3/4 of an inch. A set of calipers would refine the measurement, but it could be a .69 caliber round ball.

We find lots of those over here, and they come in a multitude of sizes.

They can date from anywhere from the English civil war (or before), up to
the 19th century. So are nigh on impossible to date.

They certainly give a nice signal :yes:

Thanks for the replies.

I am pretty certain it's a musket ball now because I am finding pistol balls everywhere.

SoArk, You are definitely right I need to get some calipers.

Congratulations on your find! For where you are, that puppy could date from the revolutionary war through the civil war - or even after if it was someone's private firearm!

(greetings to Beaufort! i used to stomp around there when I was in high school!)

what is the spot on top?

If my eyes are deceiving me, looks like the item has a hole running through it and is packed with dirt. If so, that would be an old net weight. If it is solid then it is likely an old musketball.

Burien, thanks for the reply. I am really enjoying finding these types of things. It makes history that much more interesting when you are holding an item as opposed to just reading about it. Of course I do much more reading on the subject now that I am finding these things.

It's kinda funny that I ended up here so close to Paris Island since since I went to MCRD in San Diego.

Dug, I'm a little confused because I thought I replied to your post. I must have sent you a message I'm not sure. I am still learning the ropes here.
The Ball does not have a hole in it although it does have an impression on two sides. My picture probably could have been better. I could have also cleaned it better, however I was afraid to wash off the patina. Thank for the reply though. I am just trying to figure out the best I can what I am finding. So all comments are welcome.

Burien, thanks for the reply. I am really enjoying finding these types of things. It makes history that much more interesting when you are holding an item as opposed to just reading about it. Of course I do much more reading on the subject now that I am finding these things.

It's kinda funny that I ended up here so close to Paris Island since since I went to MCRD in San Diego.

Dug, I'm a little confused because I thought I replied to your post. I must have sent you a message I'm not sure. I am still learning the ropes here.
The Ball does not have a hole in it although it does have an impression on two sides. My picture probably could have been better. I could have also cleaned it better, however I was afraid to wash off the patina. Thank for the reply though. I am just trying to figure out the best I can what I am finding. So all comments are welcome.

Your message was there, I just forgot to check sorry. A solid, then you got yourself a musketball, neat holding history in your hand isn't it? Certainly don't clean the patina off or you will ruin it. If you are going to be doing a lot of hunting here get yourself an old antique mason jar because you will be finding more.

Thanks for the replies.

I am pretty certain it's a musket ball now because I am finding pistol balls everywhere.

SoArk, You are definitely right I need to get some calipers.

If you're finding lead balls then I'd start digging everything on the site including iron. Unless it's an old homesite.

-Swartzie

Dig it anyway

Unless it's an old homesite.

-Swartzie
Here is why I dig everything...

Strike one: Homesite. I got a read on an old tin can, ignored it moved on. Hunting buddy came behind me and dug it out. He got a good signal underneath. Second target was a script A button.

Strike two: Trashy picket point. I got a really obnoxious iron sound and moved on. Hunting buddy dug out a narsty rotten coffee grinder. Next he pulled out a US box plate. Then a second but in bad condition. He insisted I come over and dig the last signal... handle to the coffee grinder.

Strike three: Deep woods confederate camp with very sparse finds. Just got done digging a deep hoe and some barb wire. Got another similar sounding target and ignored it. Another digger with us came along and dug out a Louisiana rectangular belt plate (could not find the keeper).

I dig everything now as I have learned that iron can cover good targets, and good targets can sometimes sound like iron. I look at it this way, it's exercise.

If my eyes are deceiving me, looks like the item has a hole running through it and is packed with dirt. If so, that would be an old net weight. If it is solid then it is likely an old musketball.
may i correct you about the hole in context to a musketball?
this could be early biological warfare ;)

A selection of Civil War shot. From left to right: Musket ball (37gm); musket ball trimmed with a knife to fit bore of weapon; pistol ball (18gm) still showing casting scar from mould; possible musket ball drilled with a hole for scooping up dung (an early form of biological warfare and documented from sieges).

page 13 on http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/pdf/civil%20war2.pdf

Here is why I dig everything...

Strike one: Homesite. I got a read on an old tin can, ignored it moved on. Hunting buddy came behind me and dug it out. He got a good signal underneath. Second target was a script A button.

Strike two: Trashy picket point. I got a really obnoxious iron sound and moved on. Hunting buddy dug out a narsty rotten coffee grinder. Next he pulled out a US box plate. Then a second but in bad condition. He insisted I come over and dig the last signal... handle to the coffee grinder.

Strike three: Deep woods confederate camp with very sparse finds. Just got done digging a deep hoe and some barb wire. Got another similar sounding target and ignored it. Another digger with us came along and dug out a Louisiana rectangular belt plate (could not find the keeper).

I dig everything now as I have learned that iron can cover good targets, and good targets can sometimes sound like iron. I look at it this way, it's exercise.

Dug I agree 100%

Trying to judge the diameter by the piece of tape you have above it, it appears to be less than 3/4 of an inch. A set of calipers would refine the measurement, but it could be a .69 caliber round ball.

Maybe even a .58, while though those are almost always Minnie Balls and military a round .58 is possible.

I am definitely learning to dig everything. I have one spot though that is so full of iron that I would be better off just using a shovel and digging large holes and try and pull all the iron out, then use the metal detector to hopefully find some goodies.

I still do not have accurate measurements of the lead ball yet, but I will post when I do.

Back
Top Bottom