• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Watch returned after 50+ years!

PAJim

Every now and then this hobby gives us the opportunity to bring joy to peoples lives. This week was one of those opportunities. I took a half day from work on Monday to go to the ole dreaded dentist appointment. After my appointment I had an hour to kill before I needed to be home so I headed for a small school yard that I have pounded over the past 3 years but it still produces every now and then. About 10 minutes into the hunt I dig a good signal and out pops a watch. Didn't take time to look at it good. Just put it in my pouch and kept swinging. later that night I take a look at it. The face is toasted but the back is whickfilledgold and inscribed. The inscription read "Presented by the Avon Grove Optimist Club to Charles C White Jr". That names sounds familiar so I call my father (who attend the one room school house where I found the watch). It turns out that the gentleman's family still lives beside the school yard. I researched the name and found that the gentleman had passed away two years ago. He had retired from 30yrs of service in the Army, including two tours in Vietnam. Tuesday after work I stopped by the house to find his sister and her husband still living in the family house. Very cool to see the amazement and joy in their faces when I showed them the watch. Spend 15 minutes with them listening to their memories of their brother. I'm glad to see the watch back with the family after 50 years being buried right beside their house.
Love this hobby!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6574.jpg
    IMG_6574.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 212
Back
Top Bottom