A flying family visit.

bodkin

Elite Member
Hello all.

I had to go on a one day family visit today which requires a few hours driving each way. I left home and hoped to leave the gales and squally showers behind me, alas it wasn't to be. The drive was hard going and made more challenging with all of the holiday traffic clogging up the roads. Still, arriving in good time, a late lunch and a good coffee put everything right. After doing the family thing for a few hours, I noticed the wind had died down considerably and it hadn't rained much. Being totally honest, I hadn't taken my eye off the window since my arrival...... It just so happened that I had my ATG, boots, spade, in fact the whole ensemble in the back of the car - just in case. Like a good Cub Scout I'm always prepared. I was given a two hour freedom pass so changed into my detecting clothes (Yes, I packed them too funnily enough) and headed off to my favourite "Away Day" field.

So pulling into the top of the lane I parked up, grabbed my kit and set off for a five minute walk to my field of dreams. Walking through the gateway my heart, stomach and everything else was suddenly in my boots..... My lovely pasture field has been ploughed! Oh no!! What was worse was that the tractor was still in there but one saving grace was that he was breaking down the furrows with some disc harrows by the looks of it....
Staying out of the driver's way, I started swinging in the far from ideal conditions and a small hoop from a Dorset button is the first thing found. Tripping, sinking and stumbling all at the same time, I worked up the slope where suddenly I was exposed to very strong winds (Now on top of the hill) which almost blew me over. It was either a period of calm or I was sheltered, but now I experienced it's full wrath! I adjusted the volume on my headphones, leant into the gusts and started to swing. First full swing and beep! Just under the surface A Bull Head Shilling then a short shower. Head down and hood up I continued for another 10 minutes and beep! A Roman coin. I persevered for another hour or so but the sky was turning steadily darker and the showers became more frequent. I managed a few buttons, fragments of bronze cauldron and buckle bits before needing to head back.

Many thanks,

b.

Nothing runs like a Deere....

Attachments

• rsz_dscf5229.jpg
    rsz_dscf5229.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 199
  • rsz_dscf5227.jpg
    rsz_dscf5227.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 202
  • rsz_dscf5228.jpg
    rsz_dscf5228.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 202
  • rsz_dscf5236.jpg
    rsz_dscf5236.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 247
  • rsz_dscf5237.jpg
    rsz_dscf5237.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 203
  • rsz_dscf5238.jpg
    rsz_dscf5238.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 205
  • rsz_dscf5239.jpg
    rsz_dscf5239.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 208
  • rsz_dscf5240.jpg
    rsz_dscf5240.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 205
Awesome finds love the location! Can't wait for the cornfields to be cropped , one of my favorite hunting spots. Congrats and HH!

Back
Top Bottom