Large area technique

crNelsen1

Just curious. When hunting a large wooded area do you generally focus on a small patch or just start swinging and walking. I'm asking because I'm hunting a 20 acre former trolley amusement park that closed in 1925. Very few pictures remain of the park and it's very overgrown. From the pictures it's hard to pinpoint where things were.

Something like that, first couple hunts, I would wander looking and listening for hot spots to hone in on... Listen for a lot of iron too....

Good luck!

<°)))>{

I think I discovered the iron graveyard lots of old trolley/electric parts. Lots and lots of bullet cassings they ring up as something "good"

Very good question.

There are no absolutes to where the good/ better or if any finds will be.

Depending on what detector you are using.

Try to find the higher concentrations of both ferrous and nonferrous littered areas.

See if can take your detector,,,and try to put 2 and 2 together based on your pics.

And after you dig some targets,,,depending on what they are,,,will maybe give more clues.

Will most likely take a while,,and multiple hunts.

Good luck,,sounds like fun.

Find flat spots, clearings, and old trails or roads, thats where I would look for coins etc. If I ran into a bunch of iron, I would spiral out from there, and get away from all the nails (where buildings probably were) and try and get in an area that produced a bit more than just iron and trolley parts.

Both sides of any roads "may" have had buildings, and I almost always find coins next to driveways, sidewalks, trails and roads in the woods.

Pull up aerial maps, you will be able to see paths, roads and clearings easier... take note of where large trees are and smaller trees are, that underbrush or smaller trees/ clearings will be an indicator that there wasnt patches of trees back THEN, as in trees less than 100 yrs old are probably new growth since the area fell under neglect....

Another thing if it were ME.... I would cherry pick high tones, looking for concentrations of coins, and not bother with low conductors... that is, until I got a better feel for what spots were hot and what weren't.

Run wide open, no disc until you get into a bunch of nails, then move away from where the structures were, you "should" be able to figure out where the hot spots are. Good luck!

Was getting some jumpy high tones lots of spent bullets! Bullet cassings brass? Really neat place and huge! I've pinpointed where boat house and restaurant were but indoor theatre penny arcade pavilion bowling alley are still a mystery. The historic research is very exciting as well! It's amazing that a once bustling place now just looks like hiking trails and snake forests

Back
Top Bottom