Columbian Exposition Commemorative Half Dollar

Cleveland013

Hey guys!

My Dad gave me some of the coins out of his collection and this was one of them.

A Columbian Exposition Commemorative Half Dollar. 1892.

It's in a cardboard flip display. The coin itself is in a plastic holder.

According to the paperwork included it's authentic (not a repo).

I know iPhone pics through plastic make it hard to spot grade. BUT what would this coin be worth?

I know it's silver. Online indicates $7.00+ in melt. And I've seen listings on eBay and other sites ranging from $20 to $1,200.

It appears in good shape, with a lot of details in the ship and globe.

Just trying to get an idea. :)

Thanks!
eremyreh.jpg

a6ahugud.jpg

y3usyzur.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are actually pretty common believe it or not. Some cool history to them if you look it up. I have an 1893 and I really like them. In that condition I would say around the $15-30 mark.

Thanks FallGuy! :) I did Google the history and it was a pretty interesting story. I also think it's a neat coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're welcome. So much cool history at the Worlds Fair and this just adds to it. A lot of these ended up in circulation so they can be a little tough to find in high MS condition.

its for sure a cool coin. i picked up one here on the forums in an auction for a very specific reason. i wanted to make this .....if you want to sell it PM me. we might make a deal :yes:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 454
Looking at the coin, I sent something on his cheek. .....but the coin looks AU. So easily $30 or more. Go check out ebay prices for nicer examples.

My coin shop I visit has somd up to $75. And yours looks better.

But then again value doesn't mean someone is willing to pay that price. There's value and there's market value.

Also, the case the coin is in may add some value. That's the first that has caught my eye.

Looking at the coin, I sent something on his cheek. .....but the coin looks AU. So easily $30 or more. Go check out ebay prices for nicer examples.

My coin shop I visit has somd up to $75. And yours looks better.

But then again value doesn't mean someone is willing to pay that price. There's value and there's market value.

Also, the case the coin is in may add some value. That's the first that has caught my eye.

DirtyRob,
Thanks for the assessment! :grin:

I'm not sure where my Dad got this one from (I'll have to ask). But I also thought the case/info flap the coin came with was pretty cool too.

I believe the mark on Chris' cheek is just something on the plastic pouch over the plastic holder. I'll have to check when I get off work and let you know.

I thought the level of detail on this one really made it stand out.

It's a keeper for sure. lol :D

Very nice coin! I dug 1 last year it is a 1893. Funny that they only had a limited number made then melted a ton. It seems to me that those coins do not get the recognition they deserve. The history behind the coin and design is very neat. I love mine.

Very nice coin! I dug 1 last year it is a 1893. Funny that they only had a limited number made then melted a ton. It seems to me that those coins do not get the recognition they deserve. The history behind the coin and design is very neat. I love mine.

Not that limited of a number. There were around 2.5 million distributed. :lol:

its for sure a cool coin. i picked up one here on the forums in an auction for a very specific reason. i wanted to make this .....if you want to sell it PM me. we might make a deal :yes:

EXCELLENT JOB !! mr. Hook, looks like your a pro.

Seeing that it's in an historical flap sealed in air tight protector, I would bet it's towards the higher end of 100.00. Details from what I can see are great!
Very nice coin, I have 2 of these! Something about that SHIP, love these coins!!!
You have a keeper!:yes:
There's a big difference between MS-63/ MS-65

Seeing that it's in an historical flap sealed in air tight protector, I would bet it's towards the higher end of 100.00. Details from what I can see are great!
Very nice coin, I have 2 of these! Something about that SHIP, love these coins!!!
You have a keeper!:yes:
There's a big difference between MS-63/ MS-65

That historical flap probably isn't that old and IMO there is too much wear on the sails and his head/hair to bring $100

fairly common commemorative but it is in great shape. the less common commems' have mintages in the 20-40k range. my avatar being one of them, the 1927 Vermont Sesquicentennial of the battle of Bennington. i think about 40k were made, but many went unsold and only 27k were distributed..

Back
Top Bottom