German Prisoner of War Dogtags issued by US Army

Lerenfort

Dear Diggers,
I am currently attempting to find out more about WW2 Prisoner of war dogtags issued to enemy prisoners: German, Italian, Japanese etc by the USA. An example of some that I have come across are at the top of the page on the link below.

http://www.lerenfort.fsnet.co.uk/page62N.htm

However, I would like to ask whether any American detectorists have come upon similar finds in the USA, and if so whether they would consider being able to provide me with pictures of these, the area they were found (so that I might tie them in with certain POW camps in the USA). Better still, if you would like to donate such items to my collection then of course I would be very grateful.

Let me again emphasise that I am interested in American issued tags given to Axis POW's and not German/Italian/Japanese discs that they were issued with by their own armed forces.

Kind Regards,
Simon.

Never seen any thing on the site about it before , if some one found one may not know what they have.

Thanks for the response David,

Can I reiterate my initial post a little. If any of you fellow diggers based in the USA find, or have ever found a WW2 style US Army dogtag and it does not follow the "typical" style of one issued to an Amercian serviceman/woman then I would be interested to see/hear what you have found.

Kind regards once more,
Simon.

There were a few (reported at about 40) Luftwaffe POW's in this area, and I have hunted the barracks area but have never seen the likes of these. Will gladly post photos, ect if I find one!!

There were a few (reported at about 40) Luftwaffe POW's in this area, and I have hunted the barracks area but have never seen the likes of these. Will gladly post photos, ect if I find one!!

Thanks, you never know they do surface from time to time.

Kind Regards,
Simon

There was one fellow on here who hunted a WWII POW camp, but if I recall correctly he didn't find any US issued tags. Only German issued ones. The search function might help you locate the thread.

Back
Top Bottom