Results of Washing Machine Tumbling

Paper

Elite Member
I decided to try washing machine tumbling the clad I'd found so far. I put some gravel and small rocks I found in my backyard in a gatorade bottle with the coins and squirted in some dish soap. I then added some cleaning powder to see what that would do. After the washing machine I put it in the dryer and after about an hour and twenty minutes I heard pinging instead of the dull thud of the bottle. Within 5 seconds I had the dryer opened to reveal I had covered every bit of clothing with brown spots :shock:... luckily they were still damp so the stains didn't have time to set and I just ran them through the washer and dryer again (with no coins of course :lol:) and they came out fine. I was freaking out for a bit though and it was totally avoidable. So to anyone else thinking of putting a plastic bottle filled with messy liquid in your dryer, make sure to put it in a bag (I was worried a bag would melt in the dryer; searching google showed plenty of incidents of this happening.) Have people used ziplocs in their dryers before?

I'm not trying to get all weird about cleaning the coins so that they shine like new so I think I'm just going to take these into the bank when I get the chance. Pretty impressed with the results actually; a lot of the pennies had weird growths that were just stripped right off. I don't think I'll be buying a tumbler any time soon, that's for sure.

33eh2xu.jpg

I'd say...put the clad in the Gatorade bottle and put the cap on. Put the bottle in a pillow case in case it opens. Wrap the bottle on a blanket or towel to muffle the noise. Then put the dryer on a low heat or no heat setting for the longest run time. I think it should clean them up nicely. Just IMO.

Just shake the bottle with your hand next time....

Why do people buy tumblers then?

Kind of a cool idea. I think I'll have to try it this week.

Idea was from this thread: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=184708

I'd say...put the clad in the Gatorade bottle and put the cap on. Put the bottle in a pillow case in case it opens. Wrap the bottle on a blanket or towel to muffle the noise. Then put the dryer on a low heat or no heat setting for the longest run time. I think it should clean them up nicely. Just IMO.

The thing that did the damage wasn't so much the liquid as the foamy bubbles. I put it in a canvas bag when I did it but it came out; I was quite surprised when the lid came off because I thought if anything the heat would make the plastic expand and make the lid harder to twist. Running the dryer with just the coins in it would defeat the purpose for me, wasting electricity and creating a lot of heat.

Neat idea.

Idea taken from: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=184708

Thanks all, if anyone tries this, let me know how it works out if you use a ziploc bag or whatever else your setup is.

Back
Top Bottom