Finally got the Holy Grail of Indian Heads! 1877!

Tony Two-Cent

My dad and brother jointly own 40 acres of woods and meadow lands that they use for hunting. We had always known that there was an old well on the property, now filled in. My brother mentioned that there was a spot near the old well where tiger lillies come up every year, and there was also a huge old cedar tree in the same area.

Although it isn't typically the type of site that I would hunt, my brother suggested that I try hunting around the old well just for the heck of it. To be honest I wasn't expecting to find anything, but I decided to try it just to satisfy his curiosity.

The detecting was very difficult because of the scrub brush, fallen branches and small saplings everywhere. However, within 10 minutes I got a solid 12-36 signal that was only about 4" deep. I was honestly very surprised when an Indian Head cent appeared in the dirt. When I wiped some of the dirt off the front I couldn't believe my eyes.

It was an 1877! :extrahappy:

My first one in 30+ years of detecting. I honestly didn't think I'd ever find one. I am so glad my brother talked me into detecting around that old well!

Here are all of the finds from the site:
Woods-Finds_zps2de59fcd.jpg

Here is the 1877 Indian Head before I did anything to it:
IH-1877-Dirty-1_zpse0a3cf92.jpg

And here it is after I got some of the dirt off of it. All I've done so far is rub it with my fingers. I'm afraid to do anything more to it.
IH-1877-Clean-1_zps3200d015.jpg

IH-1877-Clean-Rev_zpse1543fb6.jpg

No metal detecting find has ever excited me as much as this one, and it was made extra special because my brother was with me. Needless to say, he was thrilled that his hunch about this site was on the money!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :cheers3:

FANTASTIC!!! You've hit the Holy Grail of Indian Head's! Dont' rub it any more!!!! If you feel the need to clean it further, there are folks here who will give you good advice on what to do so as not to put any scratches on her. She's a beauty and looks to be in quite good shape. Congrats to you on your wonderful find. : )

Great find!!!

You can use a toothpick (round ones work best) or a long thorn like on a buckthorn tree. Both are soft enough so they won't scratch it.
Silver is much softer and needs much more care.

Back
Top Bottom