Equinox EMI

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I am 100% all in on the Equinox. I like it so much I have 2 800's. My biggest gripe is how susceptible it is to EMI. Some of my best spots have EMI so bad I have to turn the Nox down to like 15. I used to run a Nokta Impact in 14kHz as my main detector before I got the Nox and it had EMI issues also, but I don't remember it being quite as bad. I think the Nox is a much hotter detector than the Impact is. It's sure a lot deeper than the Impact.

So I've had an Etrac and never once did I have any audible EMI issues. Is it Multi-IQ that is susceptible or what?

Do power companies check for EMI issues like bad connections or transformers that may be the culprit? Most of my issues have been in the older parts of towns where the power infrastructure tends to be much older.

How many other people with the Equinox notice EMI is worse on it more than other detectors they use?

For me the Deus was the worst. That wireless coil was just another entry point for EMI. I think the Deus is an amazing detector. I'm just not into the wireless coil thing.

If you ran your E Trac in auto you might not have noticed compensation for EMI. But then again maybe it was just a matter of frequency usage.

Try single frequency in your problem area. I was also told for many years the larger the coil is the larger your antenna for EMI is.

I have used most of the simultaneous multi frequency detectors except for the Fisher CZ-3D. The Whites DFX and V series were hit hard by the slightest EMI. Never used the E-Trac but my CTX 3030 did not do well in EMI either. My old Explorer was not as bad as the CTX. The new Garrett Ace APEX I used had problems with EMI too. I have not noticed a major problem with the Minelab Vanquish but it is not nearly as high gain as the Equinox. If EMI is bothering Park 1/Field 1, it sometimes is not as bad in Park 2/Field 2. I think it has to do with the lowest of the Equinox simultaneous frequencies especially around the 5 to 7 kHz range. So using the higher weighted Park 2 and Field 2 might help. I have experienced just the opposite around electric cattle fences and some underground wireless sprinkler systems however which seemed to really be bad between 14 and 20 kHz.

I have used most of the simultaneous multi frequency detectors except for the Fisher CZ-3D. The Whites DFX and V series were hit hard by the slightest EMI. Never used the E-Trac but my CTX 3030 did not do well in EMI either. My old Explorer was not as bad as the CTX. The new Garrett Ace APEX I used had problems with EMI too. I have not noticed a major problem with the Minelab Vanquish but it is not nearly as high gain as the Equinox. If EMI is bothering Park 1/Field 1, it sometimes is not as bad in Park 2/Field 2. I think it has to do with the lowest of the Equinox simultaneous frequencies especially around the 5 to 7 kHz range. So using the higher weighted Park 2 and Field 2 might help. I have experienced just the opposite around electric cattle fences and some underground wireless sprinkler systems however which seemed to really be bad between 14 and 20 kHz.

Totally on board with the Explorer not being as bad as the CTX...I currently run both and I don’t know why, but...coils being the same size, the CTX loses. With the EQX there is the distinct advantage of not only have the noise canceling feature but then the option to actually use single freqs AND also the different modes are “weighted” slightly differently....which might also help with EMI. With single freq the ID of what an item actually IS goes straight to hell but at least it’s an interpretable signal which you can cross check. It pays to have different machines sometimes, or at least different size coils....the smaller the better around EMI. And of course, the LAST resort is always to dial back sensitivity.

Totally on board with the Explorer not being as bad as the CTX...I currently run both and I don’t know why, but...coils being the same size, the CTX loses. With the EQX there is the distinct advantage of not only have the noise canceling feature but then the option to actually use single freqs AND also the different modes are “weighted” slightly differently....which might also help with EMI. With single freq the ID of what an item actually IS goes straight to hell but at least it’s an interpretable signal which you can cross check. It pays to have different machines sometimes, or at least different size coils....the smaller the better around EMI. And of course, the LAST resort is always to dial back sensitivity.

The Equinox seems to have fairly good target ID in single frequency 15 kHz to 20 kHz so it must be ID normalized around 18 kHz, like the XP Deus/ORX. So, in bad EMI I will try those frequencies first since the ID on shallower targets will be pretty close to normal. Deeper low to mid conductor stuff will severely up average into the high conductor range using 15 or 20 kHz single frequencies in moderate to mineralized soil conditions. The other available single frequencies are fairly useless for target ID on low to mid conductors even when they are very shallow or on the surface.

All machines get hit with EMI, it's just that some are better at disguising it and letting the user think it's not effecting their detector, when in reality it's crippling it.

All machines get hit with EMI, it's just that some are better at disguising it and letting the user think it's not effecting their detector, when in reality it's crippling it.

I totally agree with you. At least some detectors have manually adjustable small frequency shifts and others actually have automatic noise reduction which picks the least interfered with receive frequency. Minelab have the audacity to call that function Noise Cancellation on the Equinox and some of their other detectors, but it is only a somewhat effective bandaid. You can't stop the bottom, top or sides of a detector coil from receiving EMI even from another detector or a handheld pinpointer much less from a cell phone or any other source. EMI is always a factor in attenuating and disturbing the receive signal just like the ground itself.

The Equinox seems to have fairly good target ID in single frequency 15 kHz to 20 kHz so it must be ID normalized around 18 kHz, like the XP Deus/ORX. So, in bad EMI I will try those frequencies first since the ID on shallower targets will be pretty close to normal. Deeper low to mid conductor stuff will severely up average into the high conductor range using 15 or 20 kHz single frequencies in moderate to mineralized soil conditions. The other available single frequencies are fairly useless for target ID on low to mid conductors even when they are very shallow or on the surface.

That’s good to know about 15 and 20....I have another EQX en route to try it again. I just don’t think I gave it a fair chance to be good at what it’s good at.

I have heard people talk about silent EMI? It's weird I've never noticed bad EMI on my Etrac when I had one. My hunting buddy uses an Etrac almost exclusively and when I have horrible EMI issues he never complains about it.

longbow62: said:
I am 100% all in on the Equinox. I like it so much I have 2 800's.

My biggest gripe is how susceptible it is to EMI. Some of my best spots have EMI so bad I have to turn the Nox down to like 15. I used to run a Nokta Impact in 14kHz as my main detector before I got the Nox and it had EMI issues also, but I don't remember it being quite as bad.

How many other people with the Equinox notice EMI is worse on it more than other detectors they use?
I'm with you when it comes to liking some models enough to own more than one. Currently I have two Silver Sabre microMAX, two Bandido II microMAX and three Apex devices. I've owned 2-or-more of some individual models most of the time over the past 30+ years. On occasion it was simply to have a good 'back-up' on-hand. Most of the time it was to keep a different search coil mounted on matching detectors so I simply grabbed what I wanted to use when I reached a hunt site.

As for EMI, in over five decades of detecting I have experienced more EMI issues in the more recent years, like maybe the past twenty. We have more detectors that operate with a higher gain and run more "on-the-edge" of stability, and we also have a lot more electronic equipment we carry or electrical devices in use, and many of those also seem to be generating more transmission power. All of this can cause issues with some detectors.

Location plays a big role due to outside EMI sources. Then the particular detector and / or search coil can cause an issue. Over time, I've noticed that often, not always but often, a larger-size coil can have more EMI issues and a simple coil swap at the time reduces or eliminates the problem. Frequencies used can cause or be more susceptible to EMI than a different frequency.

Then there are the surprises we have. I always tote 2 or more detectors with me, most often keeping 4 or 5 detectors in my vehicle full-time. I was hunting some major sidewalk renovation in the heart of downtown Portland Oregon on a busy weekday about 9 years ago. I grabbed my 6.59 kHz White's XLT w/6½" Concentric coil and hunted two sides of the large structure's sidewalk finding Indian Head Pennies, two 'V' Nickels and an 1800's Seated Liberty Dime. I was having a good day, but a lot of the churned-up sidewalk area had a lot of rocks, and big dirt clumps.

I didn't have the slightest issue with my XLT & 6½" coil operating at almost full Sensitivity in the middle of a weekday with a lot of electrical activity going on all around me.

I took a break to check my blood sugars and ease my back pain at my vehicle and'Ofigured I might want to work my modified 6.59 kHz White's IDX Pro also with a 6½" Concentric coil to take advantage of the slow-motion sweep and quick-response / fast-recovery design. I got almost across the street and turned on the IDX Pro and it was a terrible noisy racket in my headphones!

I got to the torn-up sidewalk where I had been recovering old coins and the detector was absolutely unworkable. I had a comparable Discrimination rejection point as I used on my XLT, but even reducing the Sensitivity to minimum did not eliminate the noisy EMI behavior.

Did some power-causing thing get started up to bring me such annoyance? Should I just go home and return on a quiet weekend?

I returned to my vehicle and swapped back for the XLT again, anticipating some new source of interference. None! I resumed hunting the sidewalk area and finding more coins from the 1885 to 1906 era.. Same brand. Same operating frequency. Same search coil. Different case of interference.

It's another reason I also keep two or three different brands in my outfit because there can be a difference. A year ago I bought a Minelab Equinox 800 w/6" DD coil. I wanted to see what I thought of it and it okay, but performance wise it didn't do anything to replace a few proven performers in my detector group. One I had at the time was a Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pack, giving me both a 5X8 DD and 9X12 DD.

Both operating in their Multi-IQ function, and using the 6" and 11" round DD coils to compare with the V-540 and it's two coils, I selected a local city area and hunted around the picnic bowery close to some power poles. Naturally for a fair comparison I wanted to use comparable settings between the two and, as always, I ran the Vanquish 540 at full Sensitivity with only the first two Disc. segments rejected. It is Multi-IQ only and worked smoothly, providing good clean signals and very acceptable coin depth.

The Equinox 800 was set-up with comparable settings, and I checked out both search coils, and I also used it in Multi-IQ for comparison. Most places it worked fine, but comparing the two at the park I noted the '800' was a little EMI noisy. I had to reduce the Sensitivity quite a bit to get to a point of stability and, when I did, with comparable settings, the V-540 was a wee bit better when it came to coin depth and accurate or stable Target ID.

This great sport can get interesting, too. because I am now moving to a new town in a new state and I am totally unfamiliar with any of the 'local' and unknown sources of potential EMI. So far, however, I've been lucky. I always run at full Sensitivity with any detector and only reduce it if there is a noise challenge, and then just to the point of gaining stability. So far, even though it's only been about two weeks, I haven't had a single EMI issue regardless of where I have hunted around town, or in neighboring Abilene.

So, while I do not currently own n Equinox, I will say that when I did, I found it to behave reasonably well except for perhaps three locations, and that's not really too different from assessing the behavior of any detector. Circuitry design and shielding, coil choice, settings used, operating frequency, search coil size and type. They all play a factor, and we can't ignore 'site selection' either.

Monte

I have heard people talk about silent EMI? It's weird I've never noticed bad EMI on my Etrac when I had one. My hunting buddy uses an Etrac almost exclusively and when I have horrible EMI issues he never complains about it.

The Equinox is set-up to be a very high gain detector so it will hit extremely small targets or poorly oriented and partially masked targets that are undetectable by many other simultaneous multi frequency detectors. I do tons of testing both in my test bed and in the field. Even though the Equinox and Vanquish for instance, use the same Multi IQ technology, EMI is just not much of a problem on the Vanquish like it is on the Equinox. However, my Equinox in Park 2, Field 2 and the Gold modes will easily hit and correctly identify a .5 gram gold nugget I have buried in my test garden at 5" depth even at 2/3rds sensitivity. The Vanquish will not detect that small 3 millimeter sized nugget at all. Neither will any other VLF detectors except the XP Deus/ORX in its Goldfield program. The XP Deus/ORX can also be extremely EMI sensitive. So, obviously the Vanquish is optimized for larger targets......so was my former Explorer which might explain why the E-trac is not very EMI sensitive or particularly good on really small low conductive targets.

I have actually been dyeing to try this for EMI..

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=287317&highlight=control+box+foil

I am 100% all in on the Equinox. I like it so much I have 2 800's. My biggest gripe is how susceptible it is to EMI. Some of my best spots have EMI so bad I have to turn the Nox down to like 15. I used to run a Nokta Impact in 14kHz as my main detector before I got the Nox and it had EMI issues also, but I don't remember it being quite as bad. I think the Nox is a much hotter detector than the Impact is. It's sure a lot deeper than the Impact.

So I've had an Etrac and never once did I have any audible EMI issues. Is it Multi-IQ that is susceptible or what?

Do power companies check for EMI issues like bad connections or transformers that may be the culprit? Most of my issues have been in the older parts of towns where the power infrastructure tends to be much older.

Back
Top Bottom