MicroUSB Charging Ports

Rock Jock

Elite Member
Homeless in USA - Frequently in Charleston, SC
I keep seeing more and more things with microUSB charging ports. I have concerns about their ruggedness/reliability. I already have two Kindles (one unusable) that have microUSB issues and I'm starting to worry about the microUSB port on my three years old Garrett Z-Lynk wireless headphones. Any of you folks had microUSB issues?

I’m getting to the point where I don’t buy if it’s not a type C charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had similar microUSB issues with tablets and such. I have some things in my cabin that charge microUSB via solar panel, but they are inexpensive flashlights, radios, and such. I don't like the idea of an expensive piece of equipment sporting a microUSB charge port, so I don't own any. I avoid proprietary batteries as well.

Avoid Micro-Anything

In my opinion, they are not just junk, but lousy stinkin junk. :mad:

I avoid them as much as possible. when I find I can't avoid them, I treat them like golden-child-princesses. to do otherwise, as you found with one kindle, just breaks them. and don't let them any where near lint, sand, dust, hair, any small particulate or pollen.

I too have many useless batteries and electronic doohickies that have been rendered useless. I refuse to replace them for just that reason (yeah I'm talking at you Garmin!).

and don't get me started on the charger cable's end ...

-TK

Are Type C charging ports more durable than MicroUSB?

Yes they are. Faster charge times. Can be inserted in any way. Faster data capabilities. Good all around.

I keep seeing more and more things with microUSB charging ports. I have concerns about their ruggedness/reliability. I already have two Kindles (one unusable) that have microUSB issues and I'm starting to worry about the microUSB port on my three years old Garrett Z-Lynk wireless headphones. Any of you folks had microUSB issues?

So far mostly only with the wires, not sockets. Of all the micro USB devices I've owned only a little Bluetooth speaker had an issue and I got several years of use out of it.

Micro USB is great, at least it's a standard. USB C is great too, more durable, rated for more insertions, and can carry more power and bandwidth, but it's not going to be adopted universally. Even the USB consortium says they think that micro USB has a place with it, which is very annoying. Everything really should use one of a small selection of physical/electrical standards for connections.

Yes they are. Faster charge times. Can be inserted in any way. Faster data capabilities. Good all around.

Not necessarily. They CAN support that, but many devices don't or are crippled to only work with certain other devices.

I’m getting to the point where I don’t buy if it’s not a type C charger.

I got my first type-C phone a few months ago and I tell you I will NEVER go back to micro if I can help iit. The wiring seems simpler too, not more complicated. Why couldnt they do type C to begin with? Micro has been an atrocity for me, at least for cables.

I got my first type-C phone a few months ago and I tell you I will NEVER go back to micro if I can help iit. The wiring seems simpler too, not more complicated. Why couldnt they do type C to begin with? Micro has been an atrocity for me, at least for cables.

The wiring/contacts for USB C are MUCH more complicated and crammed in than for USB A/B. Soldering on a replacement USB C port is nearly impossible to do by hand (24 tiny little pins, versus 4 for USB A/B).

All that said, USB C is still much better, especially from the user/consumer side.

The wiring/contacts for USB C are MUCH more complicated and crammed in than for USB A/B. Soldering on a replacement USB C port is nearly impossible to do by hand (24 tiny little pins, versus 4 for USB A/B).

All that said, USB C is still much better, especially from the user/consumer side.

Ok, so noted.
I cant say I've ever opened up a type-C. I really like how they will work both ways. There's no top and bottom to them. Somehow I thought that and being larger meant they were simpler and less intricate. When the male-end of my microUSB cables used get misaligned and damaged, I used to put the very tip on the edge of a table and carefully press it with a coin. Often that fixed them for awhile. Sometimes they get enlarged a loose and the filaments dont make contact, but pressing it realigns them.

Back
Top Bottom