Checklists

BluegrassDiggin

Hey everyone I was thinking over the weekend and I always hear others talk about finding that elusive relic or coin and checking it off the list. It made me think do any of you have or know of an actual checklist of coins or relics that you use?

I just thought it would be really cool especially for someone like me who is still very new to the hobby to have a checklist to keep track of finds as I progress. Also it would give me goals of finding certain items and coins that may be very elusive and make the hunt for those items that much more thrilling. It's just a thought I had and I figured I would see if anyone else does or knows of something similar. Thanks all!

I’ve been thinking about putting together an app that we can use for that very purpose. I’d we can get together a comprehensive list of items, we can make it happen. Let’s make it a collective effort 👍

Eric

That sounds awesome. I just thought maybe someone had a spreadsheet or other document that contained a list of coins, relics etc., but an app would be really cool as well. I wish I could be more help with putting together a list of items, but I'm really green when it comes to knowing the different types of coins, relics, date ranges and that type of things. Maybe someone will have an extensive list available that they can pass along.

An app is a great idea though!

It would be awesome if the app would also allow you to use GPS to say where and when you found it...or at least a text field where you could put where you found it.

The hardest part would be the actual list size. There are sooooo many different coins and soooo many years that we’d really have to start out with a bucket list of actual coins by type and then have the rarity’s for each one for the various years. Relics could get daunting too but I think this is doable 👍

When I started doing this I was going to keep a detailed journal of everything I found, with all sorts of information, from readings off my detector to how deep I had to dig in what kind of soil to find it. I've never been one to be organized. I always start out with the best of intentions. There are two entries in my journal and then I gave up on it.

Heck, I'm happy with anything that is not a pull tab, juice box, foil or bottle cap!

Hey everyone I was thinking over the weekend and I always hear others talk about finding that elusive relic or coin and checking it off the list. It made me think do any of you have or know of an actual checklist of coins or relics that you use?

I just thought it would be really cool especially for someone like me who is still very new to the hobby to have a checklist to keep track of finds as I progress. Also it would give me goals of finding certain items and coins that may be very elusive and make the hunt for those items that much more thrilling. It's just a thought I had and I figured I would see if anyone else does or knows of something similar. Thanks all!

Over the years , I have had to fill out so many types of forms and have been forced to keep so many files ,check stubs , records etc. that I am literally being overun with them. I am sick of writing out checks , medical information ,balancing checkbooks, taking any type of surveys. No checklists for me , I know what I have found and what I would like to find .

I want to keep this hobby I love free from that drag.

For US coins alone you could pick up a Red Book and just put a checkmark next to every coin you've found. I'd never have the patients for anything like that personally. After a couple years I could go through and realize just how many I'm still missing which would be too many to count.

That said it is your personal bucket list that could be far more generic.
1. gold coin
2. Merc
3 Barber
4. silver ring
5. gold chain

no specific order just a generalized idea.

I like to put things on my mental bucket list that I would like and have a chance to find at some point. I don't put those one in a million shot things on it. I'm sure we would all love to find a viking cache stuffed with gold and jewels and yes people have found them in the past. The chance of that happening to me are slim to none. If by some rare chance it should happen I'll add that to my list just to scratch it off. Also if that happened to me it would not be posted on here for the world to see until after the best stuff is looted and buried somewhere only I know about. Maybe then I'd let the archies know about this weird coin I've found and let them do there thing never to see the rest again.

When I started doing this I was going to keep a detailed journal of everything I found, with all sorts of information, from readings off my detector to how deep I had to dig in what kind of soil to find it. I've never been one to be organized. I always start out with the best of intentions. There are two entries in my journal and then I gave up on it.

Same for me when actively scuba diving. I don't keep a log book any longer. After the first 8 or 9 hundred dives there's nothing left to write or prove. :cool:

I understand not wanting to keep up with journal and adding paperwork. I'm not really wanting to go that either.

I was just thinking of having something more of a goal checklist for certain older/rarer coins or relics. I'm new so some of the rare coins or relics that are more known to a seasoned hunter I'm unfamiliar with. I like having targets especially if they're rare or unusual to find. That drives me even more to try to find one!

I found a US coin list that is pretty extensive so I suppose that will be a great start. I just didn't know if someone may have or use something for foreign coins and rare relics (buttons, buckles etc.) that they could recommend.

If not no big deal. I'll keep looking around and the coin list I found should keep me busy for several decades! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom