How do you afford high end machines?

I don't. I use a bounty hunter tracker IV and a Tesoro Compadre and I'm happy with them.:yes:

I should mention used helps too. I waited for fathers day 20% discount on ebay for my compadre and my bounty hunter I found new in box on facebook for $20.

OwNlDtU.jpg

I have been wanting an Equinox since they came out. I don't want to use credit. I can't come up with the cash at one time.How do you afford it?
Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

It's respectable that you don't want to use credit. I'm the same way, but I learned it's a good thing to use enough credit, and be good about paying it off, to establish a good credit score. That seems to matter these days.

I used my old detector for many years. I invested in a rechargeable battery pack for it, so I saved several years worth of battery money. Then I, like you, could no way afford several hundred bucks for a new detector! No way! Money was tight. Then I joined this forum, and learned that detecting can actually pay!
My old detector started paying me. I decided a 'nox would pay even better, so I set some goals to get one: Sell stuff and don't buy stuff with the selling money. Another goal: find gold! Thank you FMDF for making it possible. I found 2 gold rings and sold them. My selling savings went up to a 'Nox shopping level. Then I coupled a discounted price I found by shopping, with a Promotional discount on Ebay, and I was able to skip the 600, and get the 800 for only $700(my savings from selling stuff) Even though money was tight, and still is, I managed because I set my goals and followed through.

Good luck selling stuff though. I made about $300 from selling some things I paid a total of about ten bucks for, at thrift sales. I get lucky like that sometimes.
When you do someday upgrade to a "better" detector, let us know how you did it!

How about your next tax return? If you hunt a lot of clad for practice you can accumulate a good bit of money. I averaged a few dollars every outing but I used mine to buy old coins. I see articles all the time on-line telling how to earn extra income. You might check out those. Good luck, I hope you figure out a way to get your detector.

I was thinking about getting an 800 but hesitated because I was quite content with my Garrett AT Pro. What tipped it for me was when Aretha Franklin died. I had an original Aretha Franklin concert poster from 1968. So when she died, I figured it was a good time to auction it off on eBay. I got $432 dollars for it; almost half the cost of the 800. So I pulled the trigger and am now the proud owner of the Minelab Equinox 800.

I have no problem affording with my day job, but my wife has me cut off from buying more stuff when I already have a half dozen detectors.

So I went and showed her, I became an Uber driver. So now, whenever I want something, I just drive people around. The bonus to that is sometimes I'll start driving to get something, and she'll feel sorry for me and just buy it. I look at all purchases now in terms of how many hours driving for Uber/Lyft. I've been averaging $25 an hour.

Other than that, I sell gold I find. Hit a soccer or any sports field really, and dig every possible gold signal. I can usually dig a ring a day when I go out determined to dig one.

Shhhhhhhh, writing softly my wife is the problem. She can think of many things she needs and cannot for the life of her understand why I would need two detectors. So I sold my AT Pro and two coils and threw in a little paypal funds from ebay sales to buy my Nox 800. On the soccer and sports field in my county they are all locked up with 8 foot chain linked fences and nasty posted no trespassing signs. So those are out.

I agree with the guy who said cut out something. Cokes, chips, smoking even better when the things you cut out are not good for you.

I knew a guy 15 years ago made $200 - $300 per week going to bars early Sat and Sun mornings picking up bills in the parking lot. He had a route of about 15 bars and strip clubs. But now with keyless doors and ignition systems maybe that does not work so well any more.

Hit coinstar returns. I found 2.87 in change last week. Not uncommon to find some silver dimes. His Uber idea is probably the best idea for decent cash.

some people do well cherry picking garage sales, estate sales and thrift shops for sfuff they buy very cheap and sell on eBay. But you really have to know what really sells on eBay and the sold price not the listed or asking price.

depending on where you live, cut grass. I pay my guy $50 every two weeks to cut less than a third of an acre. Actually much smaller when you consider he only cuts the front yard. Takes him about an hour to cut, trim and blow off the driveway, sidewalks and street. $50 per hour is not bad. Also where I live lawn mowers are free on the curb when people upgrade and have no need for their older but working lawn mower.

You know where there is a will there is a way.

Hmmm...…..I don't know if you have a job or not so I'll assume you either don't or it's low paying .

1. Take the detector you have now and hit the tot lots , beaches , turf etc. and start saving that money .

2. Go on facebook and start a "go fund me account" .

3. Tell your friends and family you want one for Christmas .

4. Rob a bank .

5. Blackmail someone ( this seems to be the popular thing to do now ) .

6. PM Mud puppy and ask his advice ( The Mud has he greatest ideas on this forum ) .

7.Do what Tom in California does and charge people who hunt in your area a 30% fee ( double that and make twice as much ) .

8. Have Garage sales .

9. Start a Dog walking business .

10.Marry a rich guy .

Hope this helps . Good luck and enjoy your new Nox.:laughing::gettinmoney:

on the fundme angle, be sure to claim some politician made a pass at you 30 years ago and it has ruined your life. This will turbo boost your fundme account.

my life is one big hardship. I make less than 30 grand a year and am a single father. If I can make it work anyone can. Just takes hardwork, patience, and managing your money. This is America, land of opportunity if your willing to put in the effort.

Having any detector to swing, a computer to talk about detecting, while sitting in a heated/air-conditioned home, hot and cold running water, and a fridge full of food makes us all rich to about 80 percent of the worlds population.

Most times when I buy a etrac,Deus,nox or whatever that's expensive I end up feeling like a sucker in this ratrace..Cause I know I make just as good of finds with a $300 used machine than a very expensive machine.
Then I see someone post a seated dime,big find for sure..So I look it up,and see it's worth about $25 bucks on a good day.lol..Thats when the light bulbs goes off and my high end machines go out the door..Unless your gold prospecting professionally then anything more than a $300 used machine is a waste of money in my opinion..And I'm not cheap by no means,but let's face it were finding lost change here,not rubies

Having any detector to swing, a computer to talk about detecting, while sitting in a heated/air-conditioned home, hot and cold running water, and a fridge full of food makes us all rich to about 80 percent of the worlds population.

What you have written here shows that you are thankful for what you have ,
more people should be .

Most times when I buy a etrac,Deus,nox or whatever that's expensive I end up feeling like a sucker in this ratrace..Cause I know I make just as good of finds with a $300 used machine than a very expensive machine.
Then I see someone post a seated dime,big find for sure..So I look it up,and see it's worth about $25 bucks on a good day.lol..Thats when the light bulbs goes off and my high end machines go out the door..Unless your gold prospecting professionally then anything more than a $300 used machine is a waste of money in my opinion..And I'm not cheap by no means,but let's face it were finding lost change here,not rubies

As Count Dracula said to Von Helsing , " You are very wise for a man who has only lived one lifetime " .;)

anything more than a $300 used machine is a waste of money in my opinion..
Ah!, and that is why they say "Your opinion does not a fact make!"

I've become spoiled and there are no $300 new or used machines that can do what I demand. But hey, that's just me they must be fine for what you do.

Do yourself a favor and modify your 705, that machine is ALL you really will ever need to find what you want. I hunt with a guy who has a CTX and believe it or not, I've cleaned up around him many times.

Spend less than half of what it takes to buy a NOX and get the 3-frequency NEL Tornado coil for that 705, trust me it's worth every penny...and makes that machine far stronger.

Ah!, and that is why they say "Your opinion does not a fact make!"

I've become spoiled and there are no $300 new or used machines that can do what I demand. But hey, that's just me they must be fine for what you do.

Lol..I hear ya..Maybe you'd find a few more nickels and dimes with your nox than with a at pro.I guess they'll ad up sooner or later to cover the double the cost.

I have been wanting an Equinox since they came out. I don't want to use credit. I can't come up with the cash at one time.How do you afford it?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I upgraded to the Max, this way.

1) Go buy your new equipment from a seller that takes Paypal.
2) Use Paypal credit (which offers 0% interest for the first 6 months)
3) Receive and unpack new equipment
4) Immediately start using new equipment
5) Box up old equipment
6) Sell old equipment
7) Use sales money to pay down the Pay Pal Credit price of the new equipment
8) Save all Clad, and sell items for the next 6 months to pay off the New Equipment.

I had my AT Max in hand 3 days after purchase, sold my AT Pro the same month, and had the Max paid off in less than 60 days.

The key is to get out and USE your new equipment. Save the clad, and sell the rings/jewelry. It'll pay for the difference in your old equipment value and new equipment value. This is how I did my last two upgrades.

Cheers,

Skippy

BETTER than 80% of the world's population
http://www.pewglobal.org/interactives/global-population-by-income/

According to the above site:

84% of the world lives on less than $20 a day ($7,300 a year). That's considered "middle income" in the world.

"Upper middle income" accounts for another 9%, which goes from $20.01 to $50.00 a day. At $50 a day, that's still only $18,250. This accounts for a whopping 93% of the world... You read that correctly. Income for 93% of the world is less than $18,250 a year.

It's interesting that the United States classifies the poverty line at $22,541. our idea of "middle class" is vastly different than the rest of the world.

So yeah, I completely applaud your statement here.
"Having any detector to swing, a computer to talk about detecting, while sitting in a heated/air-conditioned home, hot and cold running water, and a fridge full of food makes us all rich

We lived very blessed lives...

I started with a Fischer 1236. Got to know a little bit about the detecting world. When my wife said,"hey, the kids are asking what you'd like for Christmas" I just said, CTX3030. Had it a month later. Luckily, both kids are quite successful in the robotic surgery field. That helps.

Back
Top Bottom