• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Instead of using a towel when digging

GeorgiaJay

Forum Supporter
I have been using old towels to put the dirt on, when I am digging up something. I didn't really like using towels for various reasons. Instead, I tried using a rubber or plastic place mat and it works a lot better than using a towel. It doesn't get wet or as muddy as a towel. Also, when you are done mding, you can just spray it off with a hose. It can be rolled up and tossed into your backpack and is a lot lighter than a towel and is easier to backfill all of the holes that you have done.

frisbee

Someone on here or maybe another forum uses a frisbee, makes sense to me although I haven't tried it yet.

Good idea GJ

MDers should leave the spot they dig in grassy areas looking just the way they found it. Filling the hole and packing the plug back in place is the right thing to do. Residual dirt left around the hole is harmless, but it looks kind of sloppy. I once saw a person with a frisbee he put his dirt in, About 1/4th of the edge was cut out to fascilitate pouring the dirt back into the hole. A short rope with a clip to your belt, and you have the perfect tool. I have to admit, I am a rag toter.....Gil

Another idea is to fold a paper plate in quarters, stick it in your back pocket till you need it. When needed, pull it out full and use it for the dirt. Very convenient all around. Steve in so az

In the household goods stores... they have these round/oval silicone rubber 'hot pads' to set hot stuff on. They roll up nicely and clean easily... and last longer than we will... RickO

I use an old anti freeze jug,(the flat type) and cut one side of it out. it already has a built in funnel where the cap goes. clips on to your belt or backpack with one of those large belt clips used for mt.climbing. I use one for those pesky keys that are too large for the pocket..:lol:

I use a large polyester handkerchief. If I am having trouble finding my target I can pick it up out of the way by the four corners and rescan, makes it a cinch to pour the dirt back in under the flap. Light weight and is stuffed in on top of my finds pouch too keep them from spilling out.

rubber mat

I use a piece of rubber drawer liner I already had, or could purchase one at the dollar store. Easy to toss the dirt back in, wad up, pack, or throw in the washer. Easy as easy can get!:yes:
GiGi

I'm the frizbee guy, I attached a small run of wire and a belt hook to it so as not to have to fumble with it while detecting.
I got that, a little digger, pinpointer and detector, thats all the gear I need.

RE:

All good Ideas I use a piece of a car tire inner tube shape is good with the natural curve and bad ones are free at most tire shops.

i use an old T-shirt that i cut up....it was once white but no more lol. ive got a rubber filleting mat i use for cutting bait while fishing,its about the size as a dinner place mat and rolls up nicely....never thought of using it for that but think i will now..thanks for the idea.

I found a canvas shower curtain (who knew they made such?) at a yard sale for $1. It's being cut into handy size squares this week just for this purpose. It's going to make more than a few digging mats.

I use a piece of rubber drawer liner I already had, or could purchase one at the dollar store. Easy to toss the dirt back in, wad up, pack, or throw in the washer. Easy as easy can get!:yes:
GiGi

That is a good idea. I have some of those lying around the house. Thanks for the tips!

I work in a plastics plant. For years Ive brought home scraps of plastic sheeting for various uses...... tarps , ground covers, tents ....etc. Im thinking some 8 mil agri sheeting in about a 2'x2' square might just be the ticket.
I'll bring some home and post pics/critiques later. :spin:

Hey gang,

I also use an old dark blue handkerchief. It fits nicely in my pocket and is easily accessible when I need it (assuming I leave a corner hanging out of my pocket). very low cost, low weight and it washes up nicely after a few uses.

Bunchgrasser

I usually use a large plastic bowl but when I am traveling light, I use a large piece of plastic sheet, the kind people put in gardens to keep weeds out. My dad put some down in our crawl space to keep it a lil more tidy and had a bunch left over. Now it is getting cut up into rectangles!

I like using a piece of cut-up inner tube , This was shown to me by one of the all-time California greats and it works well ........

A friend had also told me about the inner tube, he said it is easy to carry, easy to clean up and holds its shape like a bowl to keep soil in place so pouring is easier. I hadn't tired it yet, I normally use a leg cut open from an old pair of jeans.

For a while, I used a dog food scoop, with holes drilled in the bottom, so I had the ability to dig and scoop and sift when in finer soils.

Back
Top Bottom