Coil Screw Replacement?

demyansk1942

Elite Member
I took my Fisher F5 out of the car and I look at the coil and it has no nut - Broke/snapped off. Luckily, I had the ATP with me as well. When I got home, I took a screw off from a bounty hunter I have and placed it on the F5-no problem.

I was wondering - any options out there to replace one of these pieces? The knurled knob and bolt. Actually, the knurled knob is fine it just the piece with the bolt. What do you think? Anything at lowes/home depot?

found this 1939 Wheat, I don't find to many in this range before the 1940's

Attachments

• 20170806_134253.jpg
    20170806_134253.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 880
  • 20170806_134310.jpg
    20170806_134310.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 764
  • 20170806_135436.jpg
    20170806_135436.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 764
Look into nylon toilet seat bolts.
If you can find the right diameter those should work fine and you can trim them to fit.
Metal would work too, Tesoro used stainless bolts for years, but a bit harder to cut down to size.

Or just call FTP...they will probably send you one for free.

Attachments

• photostudio_1502044951614.jpg
    photostudio_1502044951614.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 864
Thanks Digger but wouldn't the metal screw mess up the coil? I could always use one with a butterfly nut but I like the idea of the nylon toilet seat bolts.

Have you been out lately?

Thanks Digger but wouldn't the metal screw mess up the coil? I could always use one with a butterfly nut but I like the idea of the nylon toilet seat bolts.

Have you been out lately?

Like I said Tesoro used stainless bolts for years.
I have one on my older 7" coil Compadre now and people have been talking about and debating this for years.
Unlike a loose coil wire flapping inside the upper scanning field causing problems a small piece of stabilized metal sitting within that field won't but this is hard for people to believe so even that company changed to plastic bolts.

Most companies are good about these things, when I took apart my Vaq to trade it I broke one of the cam locks on the pole and called Tesoro.
Alan Cannon answered and sent out a new lock for free to the new owner...didn't even charge for shipping.
I have read of Garrett taking care of many of their customers in the same way with free parts and I assume FTP will be no different.

Anything should work temporarily, even metal, but a trip to the hardware store for a nylon one that fits will get you going and ease your mind.

As far as hunting it is hot and dry around these parts so only little short hunts early in the morning here and there and not digging real deep.
We had some rain in the last 24 hours and this might be a pretty wet week as far as rain so that will help...temporarily, but there is a small window for easy digging of only a day or two because it dries out fast with no constant rain.
Summer here is like Kansas in the winter, pretty much shuts me down but we can hunt through the winter here most of the time and spring and fall temps and conditions are usually great so October can't come soon enough for me.

Last edited:
Same problem with F5

I know this is an older post but I had this same exact problem. Thanks for posting the question i cant believe i found it on here đź–’

Back
Top Bottom