souped (sooped) up metal detector

headhunter

i've got a question.back years ago (dang i'm getting older :no:) i used to mess around with CB radios.I knew this guy that was an electronic genious,you could take a stock,right off the shelf radio to him and when you got it back it would be putting out more power.for example instead of just being able to talk 20 miles or whatever you could talk 30 miles, could something like that be done to a metal detector to make it search deeper? I imagine if it could be done it would kill a set of batteries though.just an idea..C-Ya'll..Bobby

sounds good in theory but you cant gain anything without loosing something.

yep,i was just a wandering.like i said that guy could do it to a CB radio so i figured it could be done to a Metal detector.i bet it would kill a brand new set of batteries in a heart beat.thanks for the reply RelicHound.

The CB tech wasn't so much the genious in that the radio mfgrs. produced chassis designs that already had the capability to transmit loud audio and higher wattage signals. All the tetch did was to "unlock" those features that were suppressed or intentionally rewired so the radio would comply with FCC regulations. Newer radios often aren't modifiable like the old ones were. Simple methods, once known, allowed an owner to transmit/receive on more channels that 40, louder modulation, more RF power, etc. As mentioned above though, this came with a price; many radios splattered their signals onto adjacent channels, neighbors tv, telephones, etc. Many of those older chassis were produced to supply the foreign markets and the mfgrs. simply installed resistors, jumper wires and other tricks in order to meet the US requirements. Some techs really know how to correctly modify or improve a radio... many others think they know how, but you'll never win an argument with them... even if you were to connect their radio to a spectrum analyzer to prove that their radio is an improperly tuned/tweaked unit.

It's not the power that is the problem with VLF detectors, it's the sensitivity problem. The transmit power that we need is already there. That's why my MXT will detect a garbage can at 3 feet. It couldn't do that if the field wasn't getting that far. Now even though the field is getting that far it can't detect a dime at that distance. Rob

The CB tech wasn't so much the genious in that the radio mfgrs. produced chassis designs that already had the capability to transmit loud audio and higher wattage signals. All the tetch did was to "unlock" those features that were suppressed or intentionally rewired so the radio would comply with FCC regulations. Newer radios often aren't modifiable like the old ones were. Simple methods, once known, allowed an owner to transmit/receive on more channels that 40, louder modulation, more RF power, etc. As mentioned above though, this came with a price; many radios splattered their signals onto adjacent channels, neighbors tv, telephones, etc. Many of those older chassis were produced to supply the foreign markets and the mfgrs. simply installed resistors, jumper wires and other tricks in order to meet the US requirements. Some techs really know how to correctly modify or improve a radio... many others think they know how, but you'll never win an argument with them... even if you were to connect their radio to a spectrum analyzer to prove that their radio is an improperly tuned/tweaked unit.

sooooo,does that mean that it couldn't be done.and my granny did hate it when i'd key my mic and her touch lamps would blink up stairs:lol:it's amazing what a little modulation box can do to a old cobra 90 (i think it was a 90) base unit and a "antron" antenna stood up just 30 feet in the air.almost put my yazoo to shame

It's not the power that is the problem with VLF detectors, it's the sensitivity problem. The transmit power that we need is already there. That's why my MXT will detect a garbage can at 3 feet. It couldn't do that if the field wasn't getting that far. Now even though the field is getting that far it can't detect a dime at that distance. Rob

thanks Rob,that really helped me understand better now i'm "Nat-isfied"
(satisfied,i'm just being silly about this commercial i heard the other day)

lol, I can just picture walking around detecting with a Texas Star Linear amp on the belt, pulling a wagon with some car batteries on it. The ants and other bugs in the grass would be running for their lives!

Back
Top Bottom