Broken Buttons and Melted Lead

gtoast99

Forum Supporter
Hey everyone! I'm back, with the results of another hunt at a central North Carolina Civil War camp. I had a promising lead on a good spot, and spent the first half of the day tromping around in the woods to no avail. They can't all be winners. So I headed back to a local Union camp hoping to pick up some things that were missed in the past. I was surprised to find as many targets left there as I did, as it has been pretty well detected in the past.

Here are the results for the day (excluding quite a few modern shotgun shells and buckshot pellets). The button backs were exciting to find, although the cuff button was particularly heartbreaking. It was recovered as a complete button, but while removing it from the dirt I watched the face of the button literally crumble away to nothing. While it is sad to see a complete button like that fall apart, it also underscores the importance of responsible relic hunting to recover the remaining pieces of our history before they all crumble away like this one.

For bullets, I got two dropped 58 three ringers and a 44 round pistol ball. My favorite find for the day I initially thought was simply a chunk of camp lead. When I cleaned it up, though, I could see the conical base cavity and three side rings of a bullet that was obviously melted in a fire. I love finding the unique items like this one, that really add a personal feeling to the relics we find! Don't forget to check out my blog if you're interested. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• finds may 11.JPG
    finds may 11.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 423
  • melted bullet.JPG
    melted bullet.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 397
Back
Top Bottom