How many HOURS do you work in a month?

OneStudPuppy

Forum Supporter
Have a curiosity if I am just plain nuts but I am the only one currently working 283 hours a MONTH. And 7 days a week with maybe 20 days taken off in the past 3 years..

I get low low end insurance for a buck a month. No sick days, no paid time off, I've even been to work the day after unexpected emergency torsion surgery.. lol..

I work from home, so I am constantly working sun up til 1 am... usually run on 4-5 hrs sleep max

When I am not working, then I am taking care of the house and two kids while my wife works, so again, I am working constantly, if I am not doing either of those I am working to keep the yard and property up... see the pattern here, all I do is work!

I don't even want to know the hours as it would just make me complain, more...lol

Have a curiosity if I am just plain nuts but I am the only one currently working 283 hours a MONTH. And 7 days a week with maybe 20 days taken off in the past 3 years..

I get low low end insurance for a buck a month. No sick days, no paid time off, I've even been to work the day after unexpected emergency torsion surgery.. lol..

Holy !!!!, I'm going to quit complaining about 10-12 hour days 5 days a week.

So far these replies really make me think, keep saving even though I'm paid about min wage, and need to look for something where I don't feel like I'm killing myself for way to little and can have more me time..

I liked my old job but injury/surgery took it away and not by my choice.

I think also burn out is just really kicking in again.

I used to work about 70+ hrs a week when I was younger for many, many years straight. Long story short, I only work 40 a week now. Doctors orders, swear to God! Money is nice, but it's not everything.

I usually work 144 hours a month in the form of 12 hour shifts 3 days a week. The the time off is good but the pay is nothing to be excited about.

160 hours per month. Union member CWA, service tech/lineman.
Comfortable near six figure income on straight time.

Sheesh OSP! You gotta figure something else out!..Lots of variables and being in the right place at the right time....Couple of things to consider, 'A job nowadays often proves to be a temporary and unprofitable nuisance'...'Wealth is no respector of effort or intelligence'...

Come up with a plan and Try to build yourself up a 'road stake' of a couple grand so you can breath and think a little and look for other options...Dave Ramseys books are very helpful to give you focus both financially and also as a career path...

I now work for myself, going on 9yrs or so, about when I started detecting!... Luckily, me and my boss have a lot in common and get along pretty good...I dont have any healthcare or retirement, and if I get fired, I dont get to collect UE even though I pay into it every month...the work is not steady, it comes in bursts, like a run of fish, I gotta be right there and get them fast...it suits me, its a subsistence hunting kind of lifestyle...since I work with American Manufacturers, its been a tough year financially...always looking for a better happy valley...
Mud

I work 20-30 hours a week, so 80-120 a month, probably average less over the cutting season with the way the weather works out. Cutting grass at a couple of Corps of Engineer projects in the area. Govt. mandated pay scale so the moneys not bad for an old man. Hard work some days, easy on others. Burned out of the management 70+ hour weeks in printing and autoparts. This works out better. ;)

ffgrizzley

I work generally 140 hours a month or 35 a week. I'm on salary so I get paid for a 40 hour week. But being the Network Administrator I'm on call so if things go south or a physician needs help I put in the hours to make things work. Although I do get On Call Pay that works out to $330 more a month to be on call 2 weeks out of each month. I get the pay whether I get called out or not.

I look at it as payback for the years I put in many hours for free. When I first started at the hospital as the Data Processing Supervisor, they didn't even have a Network Administrator position, I was told they want to put PC's for everyone and get the hospital up on the WAN with the corporate office in Nashville. I would come in on weekend and work for free hanging cable and building computers and installing them. I was being paid hourly then. Our CFO found out I was working on the weekends and not clocking in and I was told it was illegal and I needed to start clocking in. I told him it would be a lot of hours. It only took a few weeks before I was put on salary LOL. Back then I was putting in an easy 200+ hours a month.

Now 22 years later I have built our network by myself from the ground up. There is no one who could fill my spot at this time and they know it. They are trying to find someone and have hired some gal with a degree in Computer science, that doesn't know squat, to try and learn my job because I have told them I plan to retire before long. They are scrambling trying to find someone to lean my job. In the mean time they have dropped my hours down to 7 a day, but I still get paid for 8, and gave me a major raise to try and keep me as long as possible.

Last edited:
That's to many hours for low pay. But we have unemployed people out there that we need to help support. But you will burn yourself out with them hours

Hard to figure out the number of hours for me. My career job has me at an average of 240 per month, but I also have a side job that is inconsistent. I may only work a few hours one week but may be 20 hours (or more) next week. I guess if I called it an average of 10, that would make my monthly total of 280.

I retired about 2 months before I turned 62 so now my "paid" hours for working is 0.

However, my unpaid working hours might be considered close to "full time".

I'll try to explain without being too wordy.

My wife had already wanted me to retire when I turned 62 and could collect Social Security, but when I had emergency surgery for a strangulated hernia a few months before I turned 62 my wife said no sense going back to work because by the time I recuperated it would be almost time to retire anyhow.

My wife wanted me to retire because she got an educational grant that would pay for college so she can get the rest of her credits she needs for a business degree, and she still wanted to work part time 3 days a week (she collects her Social Security too) while going to college part time 2 days a week (next semester 4 days a week). (she's also a minister, but has never yet taken a dime in salary as a minister as her main focus is to help people and not as an income source, not saying ministers don't deserve a fair salary if the church can afford it, but money should not be the reason they do it)

She needed me to be at home not only to keep up the housework, but we are caretakers for her 90 year old mom who has Dementia and preferably should not be unsupervised for longer than about 1 1/2 hours at a time as she can't do for herself except to use a walker to go to the bathroom, I need to make sure she gets her meals, her beverages so she stays hydrated and her meds which she gets 3 times a day.

Anyone who is familiar with Dementia understands you can't just run out and do stuff for hours and hours when you're a caretaker, so any detecting I would do would need to be quick hunts in the local area where I could leave and get back home within about 1 1/2 hours, (not complaining, just explaining, it is a labor of love, but it does limit how long you can do stuff outside the house) (I could probably do longer hunts early in the morning before her mom gets up, but I'm a nightowl and usually don't get to sleep before 1:00 AM, but maybe occasionally I can try to get up super early)

Now as far as my unpaid work hours it's hard to put an exact number on it, but let me say I have a renewed appreciation for all what a stay at home homemaker has to keep up with, including cooking all the meals, breakfast, lunch, supper, doing all the dishes, washing clothes, cleaning the house, doing the grocery shopping, doing yard work for 1 1/2 acres of ground, fixing things, special projects that occasionally need done and other misc odds and ends that need done.

Don't get me wrong though, even though I have a lot to keep up with I'm not complaining, I enjoy being retired, not having to "punch a time clock" so to speak, and get things done and still have time to relax inbetween chores.

I guess that was wordier than I hoped it would be, sorry ! :lol:

Well at least a couple others close haha!
I think my problem is I've just lost my will my fight my drive as of now,
Last job giving me the treatment they did and were still trying to just killed me.
I gave my all and then some planned on being there until retirement. Long story short, I got shafted and it killed my drive, fire and motivation kinda given up I guess lol.

Now I just feel like I live for my job, there isn't time for anything else.
I am working on saving to be able to hopefully find something else,
But still haven't found my old self with drive and motivation.

Well at least a couple others close haha!
I think my problem is I've just lost my will my fight my drive as of now,
Last job giving me the treatment they did and were still trying to just killed me.
I gave my all and then some planned on being there until retirement. Long story short, I got shafted and it killed my drive, fire and motivation kinda given up I guess lol.

Now I just feel like I live for my job, there isn't time for anything else.
I am working on saving to be able to hopefully find something else,
But still haven't found my old self with drive and motivation.

Just be careful not to feel constantly stressed out as it can affect your health, and no amount of money is worth your health being affected negatively.

Back
Top Bottom