Kellyco posts, good or bad?

Buckaneer

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a bit of participation in this forum to varying degrees by representatives of Kellyco (and I can just look at the first page of forum posts from today and see 3-4 of them; "Hi! I'm so and so...") -- EXCEPT they're never in relation to getting involved in threads where someone in this forum -- *especially* newbies, who need our help or insight more than anyone -- is asking a question or is looking for some serious advice or guidance. And believe me, I've seen some questions that even had me thinking twice or three times several times, and I've been doing this for 15 years.

I have no opinions whatsoever today about Kellyco. Never used 'em, never had to. And for sure, it makes a LOT of sense for a metal detecting-stuff retailer to have their reps have a detecting-guy forum presence (altho I wonder why it took Kellyco a whole 7+ years to figure this simple thing out, but that's not important). But still, everytime I see a post from one of them, it always seems to revolve around why someone should buy stuff from Kellyco, customer service, blahblahblah. But even worse, their posts indicate that they're not even casual coishooters, which is where a lot of us begin when we get our first detector don't know nuthin' about nuthin' and then go on from there and try to gain experience from posts and people in the assorted forums dedicated to what we do..

Which is fine (I'm pretty liberal) -- BUT you would think a company selling detecting stuff would at least have ONE person active in the forums who actually knew DETECTING STUFF. Not just buying stuff and following up with customer service during the delivery process, but someone(s) who are SEASONED detecting people who know their butt from a hole in the ground beyond "I love my job at Kellyco and am having fun playing with all the detectors."

Again, not breaking bad on Kellyco, but is this the kind of person participating in the forums here to actually HELP someone either choose a first detector -- and OK, sell some stuff that actually will WORK for that person for many years and get the seller a decent commission -- or give some free insight, or is the rep here just because some suit at Kellyco thought having their reps show up in forums would on its own just sell more stuff without any regard for the hobby or the people joining it? Judging by the softball posts from the Kellyco reps here, I'm guessing the suits just had their way and picked about a half-dozen people to infiltrate the detecting forums, including this one.

Not saying there's anything wrong with this especially if this forum's admins/owners have no problem with posts like that. Just seems to me that if an outlet like Kellyco and its people were REALLY more interested in helping everyone who comes to this forum looking to DETECT better -- AND even sell more sh!t than crazy, which is what the suits want -- Kellyco would have someone doing exactly that instead of just having assorted sales reps doing little more than just dropping the corporate name and putting a photo of their face net to their posts so we get the feeling that there's someone human behind the posts.

Not saying posts from Kellyco reps should be looked badly upon by anyone, but you'd think Kellyco could do WAY WAY WAY WAY better -- and have a few people to participate in forums like this for the betterment of everyone ... and if they sell stuff in the meantime in return, that's all cool beans. America, capitalism and all that, and that's why America's great. Just don't come into any forum as a friendly person looking to do nothing more than sell stuff unless you can help a lot of newbies and others along the way to buying stuff from you.

Again, just my personal thoughts, which may not be your own.

I read that Metdetdevl has some experience.
He grew up around large relic sites.

As for the rest, yea, they say they are detectorists, but I have not seen any answers from any of them that I recall that would prove that.
All the new Kellyco people...well, I will wait and see.

Like you said, just promotional posts.
That's ok too, plenty of real information from the other members.

Andrew from NED hunts, as does Bart from Big Boys, and they are a little more forthcoming from time to time with some quality advice that actually has to do with the nuts and bolts and a few pictures of finds, but not that often.

I have noticed it has gotten a lot more competitive around here lately.
This happened after Big Boys came on board.

For all of them, their business is selling, and that is what they all do here, probably not a lot of time for them to monitor all posts and answer every question...even if they have the answers.

Heck, I'd just like to see some of their finds. Thats the #1 reason I come on the boards anywho LOL

PS Thinking about what I just wrote, it would probably go a good way to moving some merch. I think about whose SN's on here I know (without looking) and quite a few come to mind - turtlefoot, heavymetalnut, iron patch, g4e, foundinNC, steveinsoaz (And LOTS of others including Digger27 and Kolby!!)... I know these names because they post cool finds, LOL. If KellyCoCorporateSuit starts posting goodies, it might just be a name that pops into my head too, and then when I'm looking for a new unit.... Oh yea! KellyCo! HAHA

Heck, I'd just like to see some of their finds. Thats the #1 reason I come on the boards anywho LOL

I think about whose SN's on here I know (without looking) and quite a few come to mind - turtlefoot, heavymetalnut, iron patch, g4e, foundinNC, steveinsoaz... I know these names because they post cool finds, LOL.

I'm hurt...

Just today I posted a picture of two really crappy looking eaten up zincolns.
That could be considered cool....maybe..
Ahh you're right...I gotta get a real life!

Wait till I find that cache, then you will remember me! :D

For all of them, their business is selling, and that is what they all do here, probably not a lot of time for them to monitor all posts and answer every question...even if they have the answers.

Granted, I'm newcomer to this forum here, and yeah, I can skip any post from "whoever_kellyco" if it annoys me or something. But it's not about annoyance. It's whether the people with commercial self-interests should be allowed or welcome on forums like this. From what I've seen in the past few weeks, I've never seen a Kellyco rep participate in a thread that does anything beyond promoting the company name. No expertise, no guidance -- even to newbies going, "I have no clue -- which detector might be best for me?" I'm sure Kellyco has plenty of detectors that might fill the bill, but you never see a peep out of those "Hi, new here, nice to meet ya" Kellyco reps that would be helpful to anyone even if they weren't buying from Kellyco and just wanted some good, helpful info to buy a detector that would suit them fine for years.

And actually, THAT'S the sort of thing that attracts buyers and -- MOST OF ALL -- return buyers. Like, forever. Duhhhh.

In my 15 years, I've met TONS of guys selling detectors out of their basements that -- first and foremost -- were serious participants giving actual advice, opinion, or just sharing an anecdote or two with *something* related to what the original poster was asking about. And I've bought hundreds of dollars (and still do, but not as much these days) worth of detectors and coils and accessories from them -- not because they were selling stuff and I happened to like them, but because they were actual detecting guys who have been doing this awhile who can help me buy the best contraption for the cash I have to spend, and what might do it the best for the money I have so I can hunt the dirt I want to hunt.

Again, there's nothing whatsoever wrong with promoting yourself and selling as much stuff as you can wherever you think you can. It just gets all slightly annoying for me when you have reps who *don't even detect* on a regular basis who work for you just showing up trying to just sell stuff or just promote your name infiltrating a forum like this.

I just think anyone who visits these Friendly forums -- especially the newbies -- deserve a LOT more, and a lot better ... that's all I'm saying.

And as for Kellyco, I might suggest hiring reps who are actually people have been actually detecting for several years to actually *participate* in forums like this and, in the end, buy TONS more stuff from you because your rep actually knows something about detecting and has become familiar to quite a few people by virtue of the value of his posts which have nothing to do with "buy from Kellyco" ... or anywhere else. It's not rocket science.

hahaha, sorry digger and everyone else i left out, i stopped typing when I had a good enough list that "you'd get the point". I promise I love you all equally LOL

Granted, I'm newcomer to this forum here, and yeah, I can skip any post from "whoever_kellyco" if it annoys me or something. But it's not about annoyance. It's whether the people with commercial self-interests should be allowed or welcome on forums like this.

As long as they're being iopen about who they are, I'm cool with it. What I'd greatly DISLIKE being allowed on this forum is if JoeSchmoeHobbies signed up on the forum without indicating his affiliation with the company, and tried to "stealth market" by link-dropping and/or badmouthing the competition. I'm not saying that's happened (to my knowledge, it hasn't). Just pointing out that KellyCo is being perfectly legitimate in their presence here, and I'm cool with that. You can choose to buy from them or not based on whatever criteria you deem important. :D

"Oogy"...I like that word, and I get what you are saying.

A bunch of empty welcomes and glad handing with no real substance behind it.

I have always recommended that members go to a local store first for their purchases.
You will usually get tons of info, advice and camaraderie from the good ones...even if you have to pay a little more, it is worth it.

I think they are here to sell stuff but I bought my V3i from Kellyco and Wanda and I talked for over a half hour about her, her daughter and what they like to hunt for where they live. I would venture to say that Kellyco doesn't want their employees surfing the forum all a day while they are at work and when they aren't at work they are probably detecting aren't we all? Digger27 I liked your Zincolns I am hurt that my name wasn't mentioned either!:lol::lol::lol:

"Oogy"...I like that word, and I get what you are saying. A bunch of empty welcomes and glad handing with no real substance behind it. I have always recommended that members go to a local store first for their purchases. You will usually get tons of info, advice and camaraderie from the good ones...even if you have to pay a little more, it is worth it.

Yeah, but that's the gosh-darn huge-arse problem in this hobby. There really *aren't* any local dealers for many people unless you go into a Radio Shack or Walmart and get sucked into buying a bottom-feeder Bounty Hunter (BH was the bottom-feeder in the very early '90s, and I haven't seen anything today saying that they've made great strides beyond that to be on par with, say Garrett's or Tesoro's rock-bottom end $150 detectors) because the sales reps there have absolutely no concept whatsoever what "discrimination" and "sensitivity" means, let alone how the two work together to varying degrees in different dirt/sites. Christ, might as well just go buy a $30 detector from the National Geo mall store and hunt everything in all metal mode. Which means most of us spent, like, 6 months cruising the Internet and plowing thru 3 million forum posts and after 6 months of analysis paralysis, they STILL don't have a farkin' clue where to confidently start or what to choose and hope they made a decent choice. Especially since there's this BS "gentlemen's agreement" among detecting guys not to break bad on one particular brand or particular detector -- which really, I don't think does anyone any good.

And really, we've all seen people week in and week out over the years to detectors that we have been doing this for years KNOW are, for all intents and purposes, crap. Yet we say nothing. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. I still get that way sometimes on buying stuff I have no idea about even tho I've been doing this for years.

Big Boys? No clue who they are. I'm just interested in seeing the wheat separated from the chaff that actually helps people.

It's up to the owners of this forum as to what rules sponsers follow. I personally do a lot of business with KellyCo and haven't had a bad experience. I don't mind them chiming in from time to time, but I don't expect a long winded "I found a wheat penny!!!" with a dozen photos......they have other duties. And the gals there ARE easy on the eyes.......

Dusty

Yeah, but that's the gosh-darn huge-arse problem in this hobby. There really *aren't* any local dealers for many people. Which means most of us spent, like, 6 months cruising the Internet and plowing thru 3 million forum posts and after 6 months of analysis paralysis, they STILL don't have a farkin' clue where to confidently start or what to choose and hope they made a decent choice. Especially since there's this BS "gentlemen's agreement" among detecting guys not to break bad on one particular brand or particular detector -- which really, I don't think does anyone any good.

Big Boys? No clue who they are. I'm just interested in seeing the wheat separated from the chaff that actually helps people.

I call them like I see them on MDs......see my posts about the AT Pro if you have any doubts......As for brands, I own a Fisher Gold Bug SE which, in my 28 years of metal detecting experience is the best gold nugget detctor for the money........But don't ask me about a BH, made by the SAME company, First Texas Products......

I went thru a bunch of BS when I bought some golf clubs......then the balls.........then the glove..........then the shoes..........welcome to America and the Internet........

Dusty

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a bit of participation in this forum to varying degrees by representatives of Kellyco (and I can just look at the first page of forum posts from today and see 3-4 of them; "Hi! I'm so and so...") -- EXCEPT they're never in relation to getting involved in threads where someone in this forum -- *especially* newbies, who need our help or insight more than anyone -- is asking a question or is looking for some serious advice or guidance. And believe me, I've seen some questions that even had me thinking twice or three times several times, and I've been doing this for 15 years.

I have no opinions whatsoever today about Kellyco. Never used 'em, never had to. And for sure, it makes a LOT of sense for a metal detecting-stuff retailer to have their reps have a detecting-guy forum presence (altho I wonder why it took Kellyco a whole 7+ years to figure this simple thing out, but that's not important). But still, everytime I see a post from one of them, it always seems to revolve around why someone should buy stuff from Kellyco, customer service, blahblahblah. But even worse, their posts indicate that they're not even casual coishooters, which is where a lot of us begin when we get our first detector don't know nuthin' about nuthin' and then go on from there and try to gain experience from posts and people in the assorted forums dedicated to what we do..

Which is fine (I'm pretty liberal) -- BUT you would think a company selling detecting stuff would at least have ONE person active in the forums who actually knew DETECTING STUFF. Not just buying stuff and following up with customer service during the delivery process, but someone(s) who are SEASONED detecting people who know their butt from a hole in the ground beyond "I love my job at Kellyco and am having fun playing with all the detectors."

Again, not breaking bad on Kellyco, but is this the kind of person participating in the forums here to actually HELP someone either choose a first detector -- and OK, sell some stuff that actually will WORK for that person for many years and get the seller a decent commission -- or give some free insight, or is the rep here just because some suit at Kellyco thought having their reps show up in forums would on its own just sell more stuff without any regard for the hobby or the people joining it? Judging by the softball posts from the Kellyco reps here, I'm guessing the suits just had their way and picked about a half-dozen people to infiltrate the detecting forums, including this one.

Not saying there's anything wrong with this especially if this forum's admins/owners have no problem with posts like that. Just seems to me that if an outlet like Kellyco and its people were REALLY more interested in helping everyone who comes to this forum looking to DETECT better -- AND even sell more sh!t than crazy, which is what the suits want -- Kellyco would have someone doing exactly that instead of just having assorted sales reps doing little more than just dropping the corporate name and putting a photo of their face net to their posts so we get the feeling that there's someone human behind the posts.

Not saying posts from Kellyco reps should be looked badly upon by anyone, but you'd think Kellyco could do WAY WAY WAY WAY better -- and have a few people to participate in forums like this for the betterment of everyone ... and if they sell stuff in the meantime in return, that's all cool beans. America, capitalism and all that, and that's why America's great. Just don't come into any forum as a friendly person looking to do nothing more than sell stuff unless you can help a lot of newbies and others along the way to buying stuff from you.

Again, just my personal thoughts, which may not be your own.

Excellent post.....:yes:

I'm a little hurt also

In a blink of an eye I went from Newbie to Elite member out here and it's just because I love the people here. I post often and I am still learning from you guys all the time. The Kellyco people..here's the deal..Have the boss give you three personnel days and send some of you to the beach and some of you perhaps up here to Pittsburgh. He then requires that you post pictures daily on this forum, and you must put in four hours of MD time each day. Let there be a contest and the winner gets to stay here?? LOL. All we really want to know, is that you really know what it takes to partisapate and enjoy what others here, give us every day.

I bought from KellyCo before this forum was around and I have an order from them out for delivery now. It is amazing to me that long term employees from the largest MD shop in the world are unfamiliar with the forums and do seem hesitant to discuss specifics about products.

I bought from KellyCo before this forum was around and I have an order from them out for delivery now. It is amazing to me that long term employees from the largest MD shop in the world are unfamiliar with the forums and do seem hesitant to discuss specifics about products.

I have to agree, pulling as much clad as I have for the time alloted I was told that it was impossible. I had to explain how I did it and still ((cant be done)). I'm glad it can.....

As far as being on the forum, whats it got to do with me......

Back
Top Bottom