Going to hunt a home built in 1917

trustinthelogos

I am going to my buddies house today. His house was built in 1917 it is in Wilmington NC. Lots of much older history in this part of town.

This will be my first hunt at someones house. Any tips on hunting. Obviously fill my holes in and be respectful of his property. I'm looking for hunting techniques. Thanks for any help.

Well,if you’re not gone already,dig any solid repeatable signal that’s not obviously iron. Old houses can hold ANYTHING,including silver,gold,skeleton keys,buttons,etc. If you are JUST after silver,then anything above a zinc signal,since your time may be limited. If it’s a large yard,then a mid sized coil. If it’s just a small front yard,then as small a coil as you have. Pay attention to the walkways,front door/stoop/porch area and even UNDER the front porch if there is one and you can gain access. Also check carefully around any clothesline area and around any old trees.

Good luck,let us know what you find!

Do everything Kevin has said, also since this is your buddy, you may have the possibility to ask if he has dirt floors in his basement.

If so, set the sensitivity low first, then work it up as you go.
HH DD

In my area, there are aerial photos back to 1938. I looked real quick for Wilmington NC, and they might be available back to 1949. (I didn't see the maps, just G00gled it and saw mention.) Might help to see an earlier footprint of the house, where gates, driveways, and outbuildings were, to plan where to focus.

Thank you all for the advice. I forgot to subscribe to the thread so I saw none of your replies lol. My daughter and I found a few penny's, a nickel, and a dime all newer. Also a bullet casing and a piece of what looked silver and had Riverside Foundry printed on it in cursive. Looked just like a silver bar. I got excited only to realize it was hollow. No idea what it was supposed to be. Looked online and only found a tape dispensers under that name.

I had fun but hoped to find more. Mean while I am chasing down more leads for places to hunt. Thanks for the tips.

Ive got some extended family that lives around Leland. We used to visit every summer, it's been a few years. If I ever get that way again I will reach out to you. There seems to be tons of history around that area, would love to hunt around there.

Many times its the unknown' usually refered to as "whatzits", that makes the hunt. I've dug some very cool targets of brass ringing up as a mid tone that I still am unsure of what it is..
Just have fun.

Hunting a Buddies or Family members property is the perfect opportunity to teach you Daughter some amazing skills! Forget about metal detecting for pennies! Challenge her to find the 'outdoor hidden key' to the door? Its most likely hidden inside a fake rock, underneath the welcome mat, flower pot, or garden gnome. Possibly an unlatched window..whatever....theres always a way in, you just gotta find it!

Its incumbent to You as a Father, to develop her skill ...So there you go..got a way inside, now what do you do? After gaining egress, She must be aware of the skills of leaving no trace and maximizing!

You dont go all hog wild and immediately gobble up the box of Capt Crunch on the counter, or flip over dressers, rifle through sock drawers with wreckless abandon! You have to relax and strategically suss it all out being conscious of any and all tell tale incriminating evidence and possible legal repercussions... in and out with the miniscule common goods that wont be missed for a while...

Not the Big screen TV, G'Maws jewelry, or anything obvious....little base hit bingos is what you are after....Baby Bel cheese rounds, an apple or carrot stick?? A swig of vodka replaced with water? Sure! Only After that, THEN you go hunt the yard to complete the charade...:laughing: High Five! Get on home and Celebrate your success with the frozen pizza you snagged out of the chest freezer! You are a good Dad!...

You always got the key in case you need it for future High buck sorties in a survival situation, money in the bank, take a nice peaceful squat and wipe your @ss with a monogrammed decorative towel, eat some Capt Crunch W/Crunchberries while watching PayPerView, ...or a nice bubble bath?......You just never know, its comforting to have a drop key to someone elses house....If you think about it, plan and do it right, dont get greedy, your buddy will never even know you were there, and that is the real trophy! No harm no foul! What are Friends For? ...:laughing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom