Historic "Wild West" find from 2017!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I wanted to share a story about one of my more unusual finds from 2017...

I was out hunting parking strips in Hamilton, Montana, and noticed a really old man "attempting" to mow his yard. I do keep my eyes open for homeowners, in case I get a chance to ask permission to do a front yard. This guy was having physical difficulty with the mowing, so I put down my AT Pro and offered to mow his yard. He appreciated that and I finished it up right away (and a short lawn is easier to detect than tall grass!). I then asked permission to detect the front lawn, which was not that big. He looked at me and said he was a retired government archeologist! He then laughed and said he used to run people like me out of some of the National Parks! But... he said, go for it on his private property. Coins were very sparse, and near the front sidewalk I got a great signal on the AT Pro, low 90's. About 4-5" down I pulled out a 1951-S Franklin Half! Wow, what a great start!

About 2 feet away, I got another low 90's signal, and thought... this can't be, two silver halves? About 6" down, I pulled out a silver dollar sized round object, with what looked like a bullet hole through it. I took it over to an outdoor faucet and rubbed it a bit, and took a fine toothbrush to it while under running water. It definitely was not silver, and looked like some sort of soft steel coin. I could see writing on one side of the coin... "ALWAYS SHOOT / U.M.C. / CARTRIDGES" - so after finishing the front yard I headed home for research. As it turns out, the Union Metallic Cartridge Company was founded in 1867 in Bridgeport CT. They sold out to Remington Arms in 1912.

These silver dollar sized coins were given away as advertising by Remington, Winchester, UMC, even Annie Oakley had her own marked coins, to be used at the old Wild West Cowboy shows as targets to be shot... tossed up in the air and shot, or set up for trick shooting. Someone had gotten one of these as a souvenir of a visit to one of these shows, and had lost it a long time ago in the front lawn area of this house. It is cool to think about the back story on this great old Western find!

Thank you for your comments and hope folks find this interesting!

Attachments

• wild1.jpg
    wild1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 444
  • wild2.jpg
    wild2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 407
Awesome story. Great job helping that guy out and scoring the permission. Most people want to know "WIIFM?" (What's In It For Me) and you simply answered the question by performing a helpful action.

Just curious, did you tell the homeowner what you found? I tend to downplay my good finds in the midst of prying eyes, so I wouldn't hold it against you in the least if you didn't divulge anything. :D

Hi TriadHunter, thanks for the kind words, and yes, I did show it to the retired archeologist, and he did not have any idea what it was. And yes, like you, most of the time I keep my good finds, esp silver, rings, and even more so big silver, to myself.

In this case, at the time I also had no idea of what I had found, and the old timer was sitting on the front porch so it just seemed natural to see what he thought of it.

Once in a while, I do try and share finds with the homeowner IF it seems proper. At one yard here in Hamilton, when seeking permission to do a front yard, the lady who answered the door was obviously ill, and she told my wife and I that she had cancer and was going thru chemo. She gave the go ahead to detect, and happened to mention that she collected wheat pennies. Needless to say, every wheatie was given to her (I probably got about 15 of them, some back to the teens) and she was delighted! I did get a few goodies myself, a Barber Quarter and a Merc Dime in that yard. And I do have a soft spot for kids, in some yards or along the parking strips, the kids like to watch, and I make sure they get a wheatie or two and sometimes a clad dime or quarter. Heck, they may grow up to love history and want to find it thru detecting!

Hi TriadHunter, thanks for the kind words, and yes, I did show it to the retired archeologist, and he did not have any idea what it was. And yes, like you, most of the time I keep my good finds, esp silver, rings, and even more so big silver, to myself.

In this case, at the time I also had no idea of what I had found, and the old timer was sitting on the front porch so it just seemed natural to see what he thought of it.

Once in a while, I do try and share finds with the homeowner IF it seems proper. At one yard here in Hamilton, when seeking permission to do a front yard, the lady who answered the door was obviously ill, and she told my wife and I that she had cancer and was going thru chemo. She gave the go ahead to detect, and happened to mention that she collected wheat pennies. Needless to say, every wheatie was given to her (I probably got about 15 of them, some back to the teens) and she was delighted! I did get a few goodies myself, a Barber Quarter and a Merc Dime in that yard. And I do have a soft spot for kids, in some yards or along the parking strips, the kids like to watch, and I make sure they get a wheatie or two and sometimes a clad dime or quarter. Heck, they may grow up to love history and want to find it thru detecting!

This is awesome. Well done! Agree on all accounts.

That is an AWESOME find right there. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!!

Yes, I do wonder about the story behind this item. And thanks for all the interest!

Just checked the size of the hole, 7/16" across at the narrowest point. I do have a few odd cartridges kicking around, way bigger than a .22 and bigger than a .38 for sure. Perhaps shot at long distance with a large caliber rifle?

Wow that is too neat, congrats on an awesome recovery! It looks like copper from here... Notice the orange rim in your second pic...

Back
Top Bottom