• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

need tips hunting creeks and rivers

I plan on hunting some local creeks next summer. What's a good scoop for creeks with small stones and gravel on the bottom?

Probably better off with a pick and a waterproof pin pointer. Don’t forget the easiest digging is usually the “light” stuff that was moved there by floods. You wanna find the holes which usually have bigger rock and hold the heavy stuff.

Probably better off with a pick and a waterproof pin pointer. Don’t forget the easiest digging is usually the “light” stuff that was moved there by floods. You wanna find the holes which usually have bigger rock and hold the heavy stuff.

I guess that would work fine as long as I don't go over waist deep. And it would save me a lot of money on buying a scoop:yes: I've done zero water hunting and have an equinox on pre-order so I can start hitting the creeks and swimming holes next summer.

I guess that would work fine as long as I don't go over waist deep. And it would save me a lot of money on buying a scoop:yes: I've done zero water hunting and have an equinox on pre-order so I can start hitting the creeks and swimming holes next summer.

Anything much deeper then waist deep with a scoop in rocky bottom and you will find out how bouant the human body is real fast! It gets almost impossible to dig a scoop into rocks when your in deep water as you don’t have the weight needed to do so. That’s why you see the guys in videos using masks in the deep water.

I've been hunting the local creeks and rivers here in southeast Missouri. We have a lot of gravel here and the water is clear. I use a scoop to dig in the loose gravel. It is a Nuttall diamond head scoop and it works well in the gravel. I shake out as much as I can in the water and then just pour what's out on the bank and use my pinpointer to find the target.

If you detector in waters over waist deep, you will need a scoop to retrieve the target. It is hard to keep from floating off while digging in water over waist deep. So a scoop with a handle will allow you to dig easier in deeper water. If you consider a scoop, get one that is made to deal with the gravel and one that has a pointed edge that sinks into the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom