Why is your detector so much better....

deerhunter

First off, I am fairly new to the hobby and to the forum. I have found a decent amount of clad in the past year or so, couple bucks here and there etc. I have a Discovery 2200, a cheap MD but I think it works decent. Yesterday I dug over 15 soda cans out of rocky soil, and found about $2.40 The soda cans keep showing up on my machine as pennys or zinc or pull tabs. I guess this is fairly common??? The quarters show up good almost everytime but the cans sometimes beep in the penny area, and I hate digging them up!! :)

Question #1- What is everyone's way of detecting trashy areas? Just dig everything?? Or discriminate things like...(please fill in)

Question #2- Why would a different detector do better? Do items show up as "coins, jewelry etc" or is it like mine and show up as "iron, PT, Zinc, cent, nickel etc." My tungsten ring shows up as zinc, so I dont want to miss something nice by not digging

Please let me know your feelings on this
Thanks!

Ther is no detector that will give you perfect ID's on your finds. The ones with numerical id's (usually 1-99)rather than just a picture id will give you more information and help you not to dig up as much trash. I have an etrac with 1750 possible id numbers and I still dig up quite a bit of garbage...

Question #1- What is everyone's way of detecting trashy areas? Just dig everything?? Or discriminate things like...(please fill in)

Question #2- Why would a different detector do better? Do items show up as "coins, jewelry etc" or is it like mine and show up as "iron, PT, Zinc, cent, nickel etc." My tungsten ring shows up as zinc, so I dont want to miss something nice by not digging

Please let me know your feelings on this
Thanks!

I'm new also so take this with that in mind.

My answer to question 1 would be to ask you the question "what is it you are trying to find?" Reason I say this is because until recently I was primarily coin shooting as a result I was only digging signals that TDI'd in the coin range Found plenty of coins some very old. I hindsight I think I missed some good jewerly:mad:

I have the Discovery 3300 and I like it. Learn the signals, learn how a large object beeps and pinpoints, learn the capabilities of your detector. If you're digging passed 6-8" and your getting a "good" signal chances are it's something bigger a lot deeper. A can is going to have a large pinpoint area in all-metal mode. Just get out there and use it and learn it and soon you'll be digging a lot less bad stuff.

frhamlet- Ok wow! 1750 different ids? I need a new detector lol Thanks for the info. I know there are differences in all products but didn't know there was that many diff. id numbers for metals. Mine only has a couple diff. sections and I guess the more sophisticated ones like your etrac would be alot easier to tell what is possibly in the ground? Are there 1700 different tones also for the diff. items?
Felix-Alot of the cans were not that deep, others were My machine was only beeping like it would a penny or other coin at any depth. The can did not sound any different to me. This could be my lack of experience also :( I went side to side then made the X, still sounded like coin. I guess I'll keep practicing!
Thanks again!

Felix-Alot of the cans were not that deep, others were My machine was only beeping like it would a penny or other coin at any depth. The can did not sound any different to me. This could be my lack of experience also :( I went side to side then made the X, still sounded like coin.

I am sorry, are you X-ing because you don't have a pinpoint button? The cans aren't going to beep any different. That detector I believe has only 3-4 different sounds it can make regardless of what's underneath. If you raise the coil and you're still getting a strong beep, chances are it will be something large. This is a part of learning your machine.

Nope, no pinpoint button, just a handheld pinpointer. I'll try raising the coil and see how that works on the cans. Thanks again for the help!

frhamlet- Ok wow! 1750 different ids? I need a new detector lol Thanks for the info. I know there are differences in all products but didn't know there was that many diff. id numbers for metals. Mine only has a couple diff. sections and I guess the more sophisticated ones like your etrac would be alot easier to tell what is possibly in the ground? Are there 1700 different tones also for the diff. items?
Felix-Alot of the cans were not that deep, others were My machine was only beeping like it would a penny or other coin at any depth. The can did not sound any different to me. This could be my lack of experience also :( I went side to side then made the X, still sounded like coin. I guess I'll keep practicing!
Thanks again!

Only 30 tones...

Back
Top Bottom