Tesoro cibola users

DirtAngler

Elite Member
Can you give me feedback on this machine. I see it has the pinpointing feature. Please share your likes and dislikes as well as any other useful info. and opinions.

I have a Cibola and it is a great detector. The pinpointer is accurate but I do not use it usually. Just make an x crossing pattern over your target and pay attention to where it sounds off. It is pretty easy to find. This machine also has a nice depth and the battery last a long time.

I had a Vaquero which is similar to the Cibola. The Vaquero has the addition of a manual ground balance feature. It took me a little time getting used to Vaquero and pinpointing since it only has a motion pipoint in all metal with VCO to help narrow down the pinpointing to a small spot. I currently have an X-Terra 305 which has non motion pinpoint which I am accustomed to. At first I did not know this was the case with the Vaquero and thought something was wrong with it. But after a trip to the detector shop and some instruction I understood the Vaquero and was able to pinpoint very accurately. Actually, I was able to do most of my pinpointing in motion discriminate mode and only used the all metal motion VCO pinpoint on tough targets which helped determine the size of the target as well. Sometimes I wish I had not sold the Vaquero since it was very good in its simplicity. It did not miss much at all. The single tone and lack of visual target ID did not matter as I could simply adjust the discriminate setting in order to determine the probable target. I generally get the same results with my X-Terra that I got with the Vaquero. The Vaquero was very good at ingnoring the iron, nails, etc. I imagine the Cibola will be the same.

The Cib is a great audio only machine. It really is beep-n-dig. Fast recovery, light weight, ok battery life (much better on NiMh 9v). It will NOT take the Umax series of coils though. It is the other pin-out.

I have found rings and other silver jewelry with it. It is very sensitive to small silver. I have not found gold with mine, but I mostly hunt totlots.

I have a Cibola w/ manual GB mod, and absolutely love the thing. It takes some getting used to not having a display, but once you get it, you definately got it. Uses only one 9v, and it has a small control box that looks like a science fair experiment dressed up pretty. If you can pick one up for a good price, and can live without a display, go for it.

I will also add that I almost NEVER use the pinpoint feature. I can pinpoint well enough with X-ing the target, and then use the Propointer to double check before I dig, and to get an idea of depth.

Never touch the pinpoint button... ever. It is so accurate in it's detecting that a X cross over in normal search mode can easily pinpoint the target every time.

I have a Vaquero and xing and pinpointing both very accurate but I mostly do the xing thing.

In combination with my pro pointer I can usually zero in on the target like a laser.

If yours is like my Tesoro, will will pick up the tiniest bits of metal as pictured below...and these little bits are not easy to find in the dirt...
So I believe good pinpointing and a good pinpointer is a must with this unit.

HH

Attachments

• tiny.jpg
    tiny.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 379
Hey digger, I'll go you one better on small items Ear ring clip/ both found items.. By the way, first impressions on Cibola vs Vaquero is that it is as hot as the "V". cordially Nad in air. will be interesting when I start comparing ground targets..

Back
Top Bottom