Visually impaired/deaf detectorist.

gjdevlin

Hi everyone - I used to metal detect when I was a kid and had a radio shack metal detector. Then high school, college, marriage, and kids pretty much took over. I'm deaf and I'm also legally blind. I see the world through pinholes but I can't complain too much. I just moved to the Space Coast area in Florida after moving from Maryland. I lugged a Bounty Hunter Pro with me from Maryland. It was about $99.00 when I bought it. I know it's basic but I do enjoy metal detecting along the beach, I think the machine has some shortcomings. I did find a 1976 quarter which was neat.

I enjoy metal detecting and just love being out there on the beach - taking in the waves and stumbling around the sand in the empty places (my balance is horrible - a byproduct of my deteriorating eyesight - I just hope that I don't get arrested for public intoxication.) I just love the sense of discovery and history and writing about it by blending science fiction and history.

Anyhoo on to metal detectors - The Bounty Hunter's shortcomings are that it doesn't do well in the wet sand areas and often touching the sand results in false positives. I played with the discrimination settings in my backyard and omitted iron and aluminum and kept zinc and up in the notches yet it still pulls up some junk which I dug and discarded from my back yard.

For my next purchase - I think the Minelab Vanquish 540 is a reasonable purchase cost-wise. It has a larger display with a backlight and a large numerical font which indicates what the material is - ie 28 is a quarter and based on my research, I liked how I could see that without having to pull the detector too close to my face to ensure what I'm reading. Another is that it has Bluetooth which I can connect to my Cochlear Implants and I'll be able to hear the tones/chatter without having to get Headphones. The bonus is that it seems to do quite well at discriminating and eliminating false positives in the wet sand areas.

The Minelab Equinox 600 or 800 and higher may be too much for my bank account so I'm looking at the Vanquish 540 as a reasonable cost machine to enjoy my outings to the beach. Diving or plunging my MD into deep waters and are out of the question for me.

Makro simlex,kruzer,anfibio I think too,,all have a vibration system built into the handle for deaf people,only machines I’ve ever seen this feature on..If you discriminate everything but coins the handle will only vibrate when your over a coin...very cool thing,I have a Simplex and that feature works great. Look into the Makro simplex, best bang for your buck on the market,and it has the vibrating handle too... wireless headphones ,big display,big numbers, waterproof,internal rechargeable battery,just loaded with features.

Second on the simplex. I don't use it, but it has a buzz feature you can turn on in addition to/in place of sounds. The target ID number seems large enough to be especially easy to read (in my non-expert opinion, if that would make a difference to you).

I also have an orange chineesium pinpointer that has a decent three level vibrate indicator.

If you're near me, you're welcome to try mine out before you try to buy one, if you'd like.

i have an anfibio, so far i can hear and see just fine, but there are times i dont like to use headphones so i acquired a NM Anfibio. it has vibrate, which i use on a beach and at times i use the headphones. Very well built unit. Cant wait to see whats next from them, although i wont buy immediately because i own an Equinox 800 also.

Yeah, I'm also waiting to see what Nokta comes up next. My guess is it will be priced between the Simplex and the Antifbio and perhaps a tad less than than Nox 600 to compete...

Back
Top Bottom