Help me identify today's find

Mr. Haney

Elite Member
Picked this up close a 1920'2 homes site that was torn down. It appears to be brass. Very detailed. Nearly an inch tall.

Attachments

• DEC 11 193.jpg
    DEC 11 193.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 604
  • DEC 11 200.jpg
    DEC 11 200.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 606
Additional picture

Wouldn't let me upload 3 pics. Had one showing top view with quarter for size reference but it won't upload.

More pics, hopefully

Here a try at a few more pics.

Sorry for the low light.

Won't let me upload best pics.

Attachments

• DEC 11 201.jpg
    DEC 11 201.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 586
Isn't a tanto one of the shorter sword types? It does look like it came off a sword or knife to me too.

When my buddy andI first looked at it, we thought it was from a knife or small sword. We joked about the sword possibility but who knows?

The house site is located about 75 feet from an old railroad line that was used to transport German prisoners of war from the military camp to the area during WWII.

They were transported to an area we hunt about 1/4 mile from the home site.
They dug lakes for he city which is used as a park today.

That is, indeed, a Japanese sword component. It is called a fuchi. It is the collar that goes just below the sword guard (tsuba). It's main function is to hold the two parts of the wooden handle together and it gives the non-business-end of the sword (the nakago or tang) something solid to slide through going into the handle. That's an absolutely fabulous find!!!!! Do not clean it; it will lessen any value it may have. Incredible... WTG!!!

That is, indeed, a Japanese sword component. It is called a fuchi. It is the collar that goes just below the sword guard (tsuba). It's main function is to hold the two parts of the wooden handle together and it gives the non-business-end of the sword (the nakago or tang) something solid to slide through going into the handle. That's an absolutely fabulous find!!!!! Do not clean it; it will lessen any value it may have. Incredible... WTG!!!
Excellent info b-boop!

Back
Top Bottom