Found in an old house yard

Hook

Elite Member
I have NO idea what this is. I found 2 of them about 6 inches apart today while scouting a new location. I used a french translator program and it tells me this.... "Automatic sleeve patented thermite CDMS"

Is this what i think it is? :lol:
This stuff burns underwater! i gotta get this outta my house eh?

Attachments

• thermite1.jpg
    thermite1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 612
  • thermite2.jpg
    thermite2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 636
  • thermite3.jpg
    thermite3.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 613
Wow! This stuff is used for Exothermic welding. And yeah, the chemical reaction reaches a temperature of 1,400 °C!! No other heat is needed..It should be "Kind of" safe, as long as you don't mix it with copper oxides...:shock::shock:.....I wouldn't keep it inside..but, thats just me!

Wow! This stuff is used for Exothermic welding. And yeah, the chemical reaction reaches a temperature of 1,400 °C!! No other heat is needed..It should be "Kind of" safe, as long as you don't mix it with copper oxides...:shock::shock:.....I wouldn't keep it inside..but, thats just me!

well its already outside sitting in the yard all by itself :lol:
and it wont be back in the house at all!!
thanks for the info guys!

well its already outside sitting in the yard all by itself :lol:
and it wont be back in the house at all!!
thanks for the info guys!

It is not unstable. It is just Iron oxide (rust) and aluminum in a powder. It is completely inert and safe in its powdered state (although I would not want to take a deep whiff of it up my nose). I learned to make Thermite in the Army. We made improvised Thermite using plaster and the thermite powder mixture. It needs High heat to put it into effect.

Fun Fact: We always carried at least two thermite grenades in each HMMWV when I was in Iraq and Afghanistan. One for the engine block, one for the radio. If a vehicle had to be abandoned, we set it off on the block and radio (if we had to get out in a hurry). Thermite will melt right through an engine block... fun to watch!

If I remember correctly this same technology is still used in disposable emergency metal cutting wands on board Navy ships. It burns almost like a road flare but is used to cut through steel bulkheads during casualties and rescues.

I never saw the damage control guys using one, but that means I'm lucky.

Thermite was often used during WWII to destroy the engine block of any type of captured enemy vehicle. And Rotinaj is absolutely correct...it burns with such an exothermic reaction that the heat generated will melt right through a tank block!

Maybe the government was doing the ill-advised "Cash For Clunkers" program a heck of a lot further back than we originally thought! :laughing:

Apparently it contained a cylidrical block of the stuff..here's a pic I pulled from some french webpage:

Voriax

Attachments

• termiitti.jpg
    termiitti.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 319
Back
Top Bottom