Default on my Pro Pointer seems too powerful

Iggyks

Elite Member
Hi everybody - after using a cheapo GP pointer for several months, my wife got me a Garrett Pro Pointer from Kellyco for Christmas. Admittedly sometimes it's on junky signals, but when I try to use it it often chirps so quickly it almost sounds like a steady tone,and keeps it up when it's moved back and forth in the hole. Not so bad on the few coins I've dug since getting it but for the most part I have to switch back to the GP to find the target. Do you have to turn the sensitivity down every time on these? (Which I haven't got the hang of yet)

Hi everybody - after using a cheapo GP pointer for several months, my wife got me a Garrett Pro Pointer from Kellyco for Christmas. Admittedly sometimes it's on junky signals, but when I try to use it it often chirps so quickly it almost sounds like a steady tone,and keeps it up when it's moved back and forth in the hole. Not so bad on the few coins I've dug since getting it but for the most part I have to switch back to the GP to find the target. Do you have to turn the sensitivity down every time on these? (Which I haven't got the hang of yet)

It will take some getting used to but totally worth it. The PP that came with my machine was very limited in range. What I do is get a general idea of where the item is and start turning down the sensitivity as I narrow it down. Trust me when I say you'd rather go this way than rooting around with the other PP trying to find the $%#@ coin or ring.

Turning down the sensitivity is simple. When the beeping gets too string, just click the on button once. It should be re-tuned allowing you to work your way closer. Rinse and repeat until you are right on it.

BCD

It will take some getting used to but totally worth it. The PP that came with my machine was very limited in range. What I do is get a general idea of where the item is and start turning down the sensitivity as I narrow it down. Trust me when I say you'd rather go this way than rooting around with the other PP trying to find the $%#@ coin or ring.

Turning down the sensitivity is simple. When the beeping gets too string, just click the on button once. It should be re-tuned allowing you to work your way closer. Rinse and repeat until you are right on it.

BCD

Okay. sounds great! Will try it soon, temps in the fifties next couple of days!

Try touching the tip to the ground outside your target zone, and then powering up.

As already mentioned, the momentary switch push, gives a fast detune. The Carrot is intuitive as heck once you get the simplicity down.

You can, and will, find problems at times with the target in a sidewalls instead of the bottom of the hole. Tapping the on-off switch with the probe tip in the bottom of the hole on first jab, will cause silence due to the equal side detection ability on the Garretts. That is another chapter though 😊

Last edited:
Also try some air testing at home, bench testing can be really helpful, I've used both models your mentioning. The real AT pinpointer blows the GP pointer out if the water...once you get the hang of it...GL&HH! On a side note, what the heck kind of knorr packet is that, monkey glands??? :laughing:

I keep the sensitivity turned to the lowest setting. I found it was much to sensitive for my liking on the higher settings. With the lowest sensitivity I will pick up targets that are still an inch, give or take in the dirt. When it was set higher it gave me a sense that I was getting false tones because I had to dig a bit more to find my target. After playing around with it with some air tests and some actual targets I got it just where I want it. Works great, hope to never have to hunt without it....

Also try some air testing at home, bench testing can be really helpful, I've used both models your mentioning. The real AT pinpointer blows the GP pointer out if the water...once you get the hang of it...GL&HH! On a side note, what the heck kind of knorr packet is that, monkey glands??? :laughing:

Yeah, Monkey Gland Sauce mix, found it in a store that sells British etc. foods. Apparently it's a South African sauce kinda like barbecue. No monkey ingredients :)

Agreed! The Garrett AT Pro Pointer is the best one on the market. Not as big and bulky as some and easy to turn off and on.

It is what I personally use.

Back
Top Bottom