garrett headphone modification help needed

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have the AT Pro and the Garrett headphones.
here is the problem. the head phones cable is too short. I have to take off the headphones each time I dig a target. No I don't wish to go wireless at this time due to my metal detecting gear budget.

does any one know of an extension cable available for the Garret AT Pro detector and headphones? I would only need about 2 feet of cabling.

I have searched the web and found nothing. I am thinking about just splicing in a 2 foot extension, soldering it and wrapping with water proof electrical tape. Has anyone done this? What are the things I have to watch for with this method?

thanks

Hang your phones over a door way...let that coil wire stretch out...anchor the fitting and let gravity do the work... Hit it with a heat gun if you have one, or let it stretch naturally...This is what I do, I agree, headphone cables are too damn short...I stretch all of mine accordingly...a coiled headphone cable is a simple and easy stretch...Its really liberating...

I know you said you aren't ready for wireless yet, but when you finally decide to do it, you will kick yourself for waiting so long! I always hated being tethered to the detector bc it seemed to always snag, fall over or get knotted up. One of the best $50 you'll ever spend IMO, bought my wireless setup used...

I have the AT Pro and garrett headphones as well. I don't have much of an issue most times. I don't clip the wire underneath the handle though.

Hang your phones over a door way...let that coil wire stretch out...anchor the fitting and let gravity do the work... Hit it with a heat gun if you have one, or let it stretch naturally...This is what I do, I agree, headphone cables are too damn short...I stretch all of mine accordingly...a coiled headphone cable is a simple and easy stretch...Its really liberating...

I will try that. no heat gun, but I will try a hair dryer. thanks

I just got the At Pro too... and I have the same thought about the cord length, same experience with other detector. Is this sorta the thing? N ot 2feet though.. looks like about a foot.

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/1-4-headphone-adapter

A bit pricy though, but it would give other headphone options. Maybe that would save some money.

no that won't fit the AT pro it does not use 1/4 plugs. It uses a water proof connector of Garrett design.
thanks

thanks for your suggestion,

I did that and it did add about 1 foot, but next day it seems to have gone back to the original coiled length. I will not just hang it up every day from the connector end with the weight of the headphones pulling it down. Maybe that way the spiral memory will be changed over time. Really don't want to cut and splice in a new section of cable.

What are you using for a digger? I guess I assume you are bending over to set your detector down, and standing g to dig? I just dig with one hand and foot and hold the detector in the other hand.

I use a lesche shark

I use a lesche shark 36" handle. I too also dig with one hand and foot and hold the detector in my other hand. But the problem is more accurately described when I bend over to pinpoint with my Garrett pinpointer.

on this same subject I now have the Nel thunder coil and the lesche shark is hard to dig a deep hole. once I get shovel deep and the shovel is tall an narrow, I cannot dig much deeper easily. You cannot dig in and pry or leverage the shovel to get out deep dirt. I wonder if the other lesche shovels like the Sampson are better for digging deeper holes. The only way I can get the lesche shark to go deeper is to widen the hole.

Go wireless as soon as you can. It removes a lot of the frustration that you get from wired.
You will easily be able to set your machine down, pick it up, walk away from it etc. without having to remove the headphones, no more wire to get tangled in the brush, the list goes on. A lot of positives. Very freeing.

Go wireless as soon as you can. It removes a lot of the frustration that you get from wired.
You will easily be able to set your machine down, pick it up, walk away from it etc. without having to remove the headphones, no more wire to get tangled in the brush, the list goes on. A lot of positives. Very freeing.

Thats a valid point! I water hunt..So I like how the headphone cord keeps my rig from floating away during a scoop sift..:lol: I pretty much gotta have that here...!

Attachments

• oct 6-16-1.jpg
    oct 6-16-1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 136
Xs2

I know you said you aren't ready for wireless yet, but when you finally decide to do it, you will kick yourself for waiting so long! I always hated being tethered to the detector bc it seemed to always snag, fall over or get knotted up. One of the best $50 you'll ever spend IMO, bought my wireless setup used...
Been using Deteknix W3s lightweights since Aug. they are fantastic. I get about 10 hrs. of time between charges. No lag . Also the headphones don't cover the whole ear, I like that cause I can still hear what going on around me. I would be hard pressed to go back to a wired head set. 99 bucks for the At Pro. Small investment, big step. Good luck Mark

no that won't fit the AT pro it does not use 1/4 plugs. It uses a water proof connector of Garrett design.
thanks

From that link at KellyCo: "will allow customers to use any brand of headphones that have a standard 1/4" jack connector. One end of the adapter connects securely to the 2-pin connector of the AT Pro Control Housing."

But $34 for an adaptor? That's gold rush prices. Anyone know of a cheaper adaptor? Otherwise I think I'll save up and put that toward the wireless.

Back
Top Bottom