MICHIGAN Government at Work!!

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Four years ago I got an enhanced drivers license so I could travel to Canada. I had to show my birth certificate and answer questions at the Secretary of State to prove I was a United States Citizen. I have been enjoying going to Canada for the whole time.

Two weeks ago I got NEXUS AND a PASSPORT so I don't need an enhanced license anymore. My drivers license is due for renewal next month. I got sent information to renew it and it said I could renew online.

Tried that and big letters came up saying I can't!! Read the small print on back and it says that enhanced licenses are not able to be renewed online!

LOL so I call to see if I can downgrade it since it is not needed anymore. Although a REAL ID license is recommended and since I have an enhanced license it is REAL ID certified per the federal government guidelines.

SO HERE IS THE FUNNY PART. I have to go in to get my license downgraded to a regular REAL ID one. Even though I have a REAL ID certified license now, I have to bring in my birth certificate to PROVE I can get a regular REAL ID certified license!!

HUH????????? There is absolutely NO HOPE to find anyone in the government with a brain.

Missouri's drivers license doesn't meet the "real ID' standards. Starting in October we need a passport to fly to Atlanta.

SO HERE IS THE FUNNY PART. I have to go in to get my license downgraded to a regular REAL ID one. Even though I have a REAL ID certified license now, I have to bring in my birth certificate to PROVE I can get a regular REAL ID certified license!!

HUH????????? There is absolutely NO HOPE to find anyone in the government with a brain.

What kind of stooges makes the rules there ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

stooges_govmich.jpgstooges_rulemich.jpg

I I can tell you never lived in the Philippines.
Things here are so screwed up, it will never get fixed. You can't even get appliances fixed without lies. They send a service man ( A DAY LATE ). .to your house on a moped. Can't fix that day and wants to charg a service fee.
This place is really screwed up. KEN. :mad:

Fellow Michigander here! Our SOS branches are the epitome of inefficiency and I rarely have an opportunity to defend them, but my guess is that rules from Federal government may be what is causing the issue. They're pretty particular about how Real ID's are issued. Even-though you did have an enhanced license, it will be your first "Real ID" hence the in person requirement.

That said, IMO it's worth the extra money to still have the enhanced drivers license even if you have a passport. Especially for those of us that frequent the waterways along the border which if I remember correctly you do.

Fellow Michigander here! Our SOS branches are the epitome of inefficiency and I rarely have an opportunity to defend them, but my guess is that rules from Federal government may be what is causing the issue. They're pretty particular about how Real ID's are issued. Even-though you did have an enhanced license, it will be your first "Real ID" hence the in person requirement.

That said, IMO it's worth the extra money to still have the enhanced drivers license even if you have a passport. Especially for those of us that frequent the waterways along the border which if I remember correctly you do.

The PROBLEM is the enhanced license IS real ID compliant. But since I am downgrading to a regular one I had to have my birth certificate OR passport to PROVE I will still be real id compliant. WHY can't my old non expired enhanced license PROVE I am in compliance??

So you get to go wait in line with all the scuzzies that the secretary of state!

Good luck!:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom