Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 07-31-2020, 06:38 PM

Default Equinox Coil Mod

As some know I broke a coil ear. So I have modified a coil to more durable specifications. Like all my coils this one is able to be used without a coil cover, which is important for water/beach hunting.

I have done three different steps: 1. I removed the middle cross brace [the coil is over braced!] 2. Epoxied on a coil support piece, followed by epoxying a side plate on each side made out of a piece of plastic wheel barrel. 3. Adding shoe good to the underside open portions of the coil and epoxying the actual coil spots.

Coil weight before project. 16.15 oz, Coil weight after project 16.16 Weight loss of middle brace and coil cover: 2.82oz.

Never having black sand , water weight or EARS THAT WILL BREAK, priceless!

Here is a, did you know. Did you know the coil bolt can hold about a tablespoon of sand/dirt. Tip: Get rid of it and go to a nylon bolt!

Name:  coil 1.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  coil 2.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  coil 3.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  48.8 KB

Old 10-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Supporter

Default 8x stronger

i use LOCTITE PL 8x stronger than ordinary adhesive. You don't have to mix it, and after many repairs, the LOCTITE fast grad has never failed. It's in the calking department of Lowe's, not the glue section. It comes in a tube that fits in a calking gun. Don't get the 3x stronger, only get the PL 8X stronger.

Old 10-11-2020, 03:10 PM
Elite Member

Not long ago I finally broke the coil ears on my detector. One side didn't look like it had ever been glued in the first place. I used PVC glue and primer to fix it. I think it is stronger than it was before
Name:  Coil 3.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  53.0 KB
Attached Images