• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Visit to the courthouse

pplinker

Forum Supporter
The other day i posted this:
I asked about detecting at the county fairgrounds. The people there were friendly, but said to talk to a member of the county commission. So i talked to her secretary. Next day the secretary was nice enough to call me back...but she said detecting is not allowed on any county property. So that'd mean the schools are off limits. I didn't mind the fairgrounds so bad, but i've hunted the schools in the past. Would make one wonder if it's sometimes better to ask forgiveness than permission at least with the county government.

Someone posted "are you sure the secretary was right."

So, today i went to the courthouse and asked to talk to the county commissions administrative assistant. I had to talk to her secretary again, but i said is there an ordnance that says you can't hunt on county property? She said she didn't know, she'd have to ask the administrative assistant....but she was on the phone. When she finally got off the phone, the secretary went in to the admin Assist, and i followed her in, and asked her myself, is there an ordnance that prohibits Metal detecting on county property. She said no, but if the commission says it's illegal you can't do it. She gave the excuse about the underground wires at the courthouse lawn and the fairgrounds. I can understand the courthouse lawn, but the fairgrounds is acres and acres, can't believe there's underground wires everywhere. But i did at least find out that the schools don't come under the commission's jurisdiction. She said to ask the Board of education about the schools. I'm not about to do that. I'll just go. And as far as that Administrative Assistant...she happens to be running for the county commission. I'll be sure to vote against her...because i didn't like how she said "if the commission says it's illegal, you can't do it."

I did get the phone numbers of the actual commissioners. I didn't recognize any of the three names. I'll have to ask around to find out who's the nicest one, then call and ask about the fairgrounds. I'll update later.

pplinker, I'm curious as to what state your Metal Detecting in. It might help those that are in that state to hear what you found out. Please keep us posted.

This is a great example of why it's better to not ask permission to hunt public property; there's no law against it, yet they tell you you can't do it. They don't want to say you can detect because they don't want to be responsible for a decision that they have no clue as to what it's about.

If it's public property, and no laws are posted against metal detecting, I detect.

I still don't see where the commission is saying no. I see someone running for the commission saying no. I'd say go to the fairgrounds, look for a groundskeeper, and if he doesn't mind then no one else will. I seriously doubt that woman patrols the fairgrounds looking for troublemakers.

I still don't see where the commission is saying no. I see someone running for the commission saying no. I'd say go to the fairgrounds, look for a groundskeeper, and if he doesn't mind then no one else will. I seriously doubt that woman patrols the fairgrounds looking for troublemakers.

I agree

Our metal detecting club, made arrangements with our local fair grounds to hunt all the property in exchange to help clean up all the nails, bottle caps, cans etc. Especially around any of the livestock areas and arena's. So, find out from one of the groundskeepers, let them know that you will haul away all the trash you find too.

Who is running the show?

The other day i posted this:
I asked about detecting at the county fairgrounds. The people there were friendly, but said to talk to a member of the county commission. So i talked to her secretary. Next day the secretary was nice enough to call me back...but she said detecting is not allowed on any county property. So that'd mean the schools are off limits. I didn't mind the fairgrounds so bad, but i've hunted the schools in the past. Would make one wonder if it's sometimes better to ask forgiveness than permission at least with the county government.

Someone posted "are you sure the secretary was right."

So, today i went to the courthouse and asked to talk to the county commissions administrative assistant. I had to talk to her secretary again, but i said is there an ordnance that says you can't hunt on county property? She said she didn't know, she'd have to ask the administrative assistant....but she was on the phone. When she finally got off the phone, the secretary went in to the admin Assist, and i followed her in, and asked her myself, is there an ordnance that prohibits Metal detecting on county property. She said no, but if the commission says it's illegal you can't do it. She gave the excuse about the underground wires at the courthouse lawn and the fairgrounds. I can understand the courthouse lawn, but the fairgrounds is acres and acres, can't believe there's underground wires everywhere. But i did at least find out that the schools don't come under the commission's jurisdiction. She said to ask the Board of education about the schools. I'm not about to do that. I'll just go. And as far as that Administrative Assistant...she happens to be running for the county commission. I'll be sure to vote against her...because i didn't like how she said "if the commission says it's illegal, you can't do it."

I did get the phone numbers of the actual commissioners. I didn't recognize any of the three names. I'll have to ask around to find out who's the nicest one, then call and ask about the fairgrounds. I'll update later.

Who is running the show in your county? Don't you have a county council or exectutive? That is what we have St. Louis County in Missouri.

HH Michael

Another thing

Another thing is that underground wires if I am not mistaken are not that close to the surface. Maybe that person in your county government does not know how deep you dig. If they keep giving the same answer to you, use this option and see if a eight inch deep plug is deep enough to do any harm. Chances are, they might be illiterate about our hobby.

HH Michael

Back
Top Bottom