What is your favorite older low tech detector?

Haha. Those are fighting words! My congrats to an instigator.

Well, it is old, and arguably "low" tech. It's a classic though, and one of the "best" metal detectors ever created.

I love that it's an S-shaft, uses AA batteries, is waterproof and its control box form factor.

I'm keeping my White's M6 .It has good depth and separation , durably built , nice balance and uses either double AA batteries or a rechargeable power source .It also has a great selection of coils available and I'm also still able to get it repaired by White's if need be . I like the knobs and switches also .
I sold my M6 last year. I liked the detector and it found a lot of good stuff but I hated the knobs. Seems like every time I either put my arm in or out of the strap it would move the knobs and mess up my settings.

bought a Compass RM 6 around 1970's - it "Never" lied LOL but it died ~1995 or so, I miss the old guy

I loved the old Compass machines, My first machine was a RM-7A, very soft threshold, and when it whispered, it was good.Found some amazing things with that machine!

I'm into minelabs these days but I still use and will never part with my old MXT Tracker series. She has been a great relic machine over the yrs. and will hunt any soil .

I'm keeping my White's M6 .It has good depth and separation , durably built , nice balance and uses either double AA batteries or a rechargeable power source .It also has a great selection of coils available and I'm also still able to get it repaired by White's if need be . I like the knobs and switches also .

arguably, one of the best coin sniffers of all time!..whitey "pitched it"
in favor of the mx-5 that went nowhere, then reinserted it into the line up.
guys have known for a long,long time just how good it really is. been around since '06 originally replaced the pro-xl. a coin and jewelry "vacuum!" and is still getting it done!,especially with the 5.3 eclipse concentric coil.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I have the M6 also and love it.
Just got a Simplex last week and its pretty impressive. Haven't used it to much but the M6 might just be a back up now.

What is your favorite older low tech detector(s) that you won't sell or wish you hadn't and why?
For me:

The White's Classic II SL- great balance, quiet, switchable coils and trigger all metal pinpointer.

The Fisher 1235X- deep and no motion pinpointer.

Whites Classic II SL without question...still have mine, but it's a BEAST on AA's, LOL.

My Compadre...as a primary jewelry hunter it has paid for itself 10 times over, or more.
Also have a Mojave and that seems to be just as good or better.

And I still have my old F2, don't pull it out anymore for myself but I keep it around for guests.
I was massively and shockingly successful with that one too.

Yeah, the F2 is my "low-tech" unit as well. Can't say enough good things about it!

Fisher CZ-6 quicksilver

I bought it in 1989 I think. Its my go to machine still. I hunt with my son and he uses an AT-Pro and a smoke him most of the times :D

Mike

Not sure about the low-tech aspect but one I hope to use again is a White's Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro Plus. My dad bought one new from trading his rifles/saving money shortly after I got in on detecting as a kid and it would find anything if it was around. I've seen a few close matches years after such as a 6000 DI Pro, but finding the exact model at a decent price in working condition has been hard to come by so far.

Low-tech wise perhaps a Tesoro Compadre would be a good one to have handy for family/friends/tot lots. Although I've been looking at White's Coinmaster Classic III with Mr Bill's mods added (through PM's I think I got the details for all the mods) off and on for years.

Too many detectors and not enough time. :lol:

I still bring out my Garrett GTAx 750 once in a while. It's 20 year old technology but the machine is simple to use and has pretty good discrimination.

Back
Top Bottom