Banned metal detectors in surf city

LBI has been my stomping grounds since 1970. I have been aware of ordinance dump sites off of the NJ coast for many years, as I was once involved in diving & shipwreck research. Most of the "heavy duty" stuff is at least 10 - 20 miles off shore. The ordinance that was propelled ashore was limited to Surf City & Shipbottom beaches mostly smaller explosives and fuses. I usually hunt the beaches down around Beach Haven or Holgate, so there is no conflict. You have 17 miles of beach along the island. Missing a mile or two is not a problem. Funny story: I used to be a SCUBA instructor years ago. When on an open water dive at a WW II wreck site I had a fairly new diver beating on a large drum while trying to move it in order to chase a lobster. I intervened quite hastily, as the "drum" was an unexploded depth charge.

The "Excal Eater" is still waiting for the waterproof housing & connectors. Seems when I bought the project machine last July, CharlesNy ( the mfgr.) decided to close down his shop in order to move from NY to New Hampshire. He did a house remodel and as of last contact it is on the market. I e-mailed him last week to see how things were going but have had no reply. I guess I'll just have to continue waiting. There is hope that I can have my machine up & running sometime this summer, but we'll see. The actual conversion can be done in a day, once I have the parts, but it makes no sense to buy anything until I have the control housing. Meanwhile, I have a backup Exp II.

Back
Top Bottom