Took my AT PRO for a test drive yesterday in the woods

mantlefan2010

I was running it in std zero setting with 0 iron decrimination and and the

sensitivity all the way up and was ground balanced

I found so many bottle caps and old beer can parts and many shell casings

at least 7 or 8 22 and spent shot gun casings (brass) I guess

my only finds are 1 dime and 3 modern pennies

I am looking for settings advice I even put it into std coin mode as well

If you have experience with the Ace series, I would skip Standard mode all together and go straight to Pro Zero mode. Much better mode IMO. Also, you may want to use the Iron Audio and Iron Disc, especially in the woods. It may just keep some of those trash targets out of your hands.

I run mine in Pro mode. zero and 40 discrim. You will still find bottle caps but there will be a scratchy sound when you move off the target. It just takes some getting used to.

I agree with the previous posts, run pro zero. I run 0 desc cause I like to listen to everything. It can get a little noisy in trashy areas but when there is a coin in all that trash, the tone really stands out and screams "DIG ME"...at least that's what's worked good for me...GL...

I run mine in Pro mode. zero and 40 discrim. You will still find bottle caps but there will be a scratchy sound when you move off the target. It just takes some getting used to.

Bingo that's how I do it too. Pro zero and run discrimintation up to 40. With iron on.

Now throw some dimes. Nickles and 1/4's on your lawn and then go find them. Then hit a park do the same thing and see if you find yours or someone elses. :cool:

If you find your's you didn't throw them far enough. You'll be finding coins before you know it.

Don't forget to ground ballance on clean ground. Check the size of targets with the pin point mode to see how large it is by moving the coil until there is no sound or in search mode by lifting the coil off the ground until the target is gone.

If you get a good tone that won't repeat and you think it's deep, back off on your ground
ballance 5 or 6 points then try it.

Now all you have to do is find someplace no one else has been.:?:

I'm stubborn & lazy, plus I have a bad back (scoliosis), so I use STD mode, iron set to total rejection (40), coins program, sensitivity 7 out of 8 to eliminate false signals. While I might miss gold jewelry, I will at least have the highest % of coins possible. The few trash signals I dig are usually small & round, like a button. Total silence between beeps, very relaxing.

After I got the ground balance set more or less correctly, a loud beep is a quarter down several inches & very tilted. The another loud beep, reading 80-85 (dime) on each pass, & showing a depth of 8". Dug down 7" & there was a dime. Ground was dry & hard. Most detectors around here ($200-$800) can't correctly ID a dime beyond 4".

STD mode still does a pretty good job at separating closely spaced items. I got a shallow nickel that correctly read 52-53. After I popped it out with my screwdriver, I put the iron audio on & learned the nickel was surrounded by 5 pieces of iron!

Once I stop finding coins in STD mode, I may try PRO mode. In air tests, using sens 7, dime beeped to 10" both modes, always a high sound in STD, but PRO gave both high & medium tones, as would be expected for a zinc in real detecting, using STD mode. In STD mode actual detecting, dimes 80-85 & copper pennies upper 70s to low 80s. Does PRO mode ID as accurately? Best wishes, George (MN)

thanks for all of the advice I will put it to good use

now one more question for all of you

it is raining in Maryland today and I want to go out and I just have a standard head phones for my at pro will they get screwed up in the rain I will be searching on land ?

I run in Pro Zero with iron discrimination set at 35, I then Ground balance and then lower the setting by 5 points.
I have really been putting the Iron audio to the test and it really helps weed out a lot of junk just takes a little getting used to.
I must say that I have hit it out of the park with my AT Pro having the best season ever in my 30 years of detecting.

If you have experience with the Ace series, I would skip Standard mode all together and go straight to Pro Zero mode. Much better mode IMO. Also, you may want to use the Iron Audio and Iron Disc, especially in the woods. It may just keep some of those trash targets out of your hands.

Great post!

Back
Top Bottom