Purchase advice needed on detectors with ground balancing

tsam19

Hello all

I'm relatively new to the hobby and own the Garrett Ace 250 sports kit and have used it a few times but am not convinced of it's reliability on UK ground.

Realising the kit is primarily designed for the grounds (soils / sands) in the USA and the ground balancing setting is prefixed, unchangeable to that of the USA - not the UK!

On having read a few testimonies from other 250 users on here, the machine can miss targets whilst searching over UK ground because of the soil / sand makeup.

ie doing air tests on, metal objects or UK coins the 250 detects but bury the same UK coins and the MD won't detect!

So basically I'm wanting to change from the 250 to another MD with a ground balancing manual setting on it so it can be used on the sands / soils in the UK without the missing targets.

What makes and models have this feature that are equally as good as the garrett 250 and what sort of price would I expect to pay for a new or used machine and what things should I look for when buying a used machine?

Any advice would be welcome thanks :laughing:

Re: Dan30cal - I was referring to the mineral make up of the earth in different parts of the world and how the Ace 250 can't be tweaked to take into account the minerals that hide potential targets buried in the ground :laughing:

I got the idea from watching Arctic slayers 'diggin it' the ultimate guide to metal detecting and treasure hunting dvd

As for hunting generally for coins, jewellery,gold, silver, any items of value.

Thanks for the answers so far the fisher looks good. ;)

I presume all metal detectors including the the 'Fisher' range have the same search features?

all metal
jewellery
custom
relics
coins

As for location usage, I want to be able to use on dry land, wet / dry sand any terrain really without missing anything due to the inability or incompatibility of the metal detectors functions / features.

As with the Garret Ace 250 I have, for example on wet sand there are a lot of false signals...

Last edited:
What about a 'minelab Safari' or 'XP Goldmaxx power' ?

Anyone use one and are they any good?

:yes:

Last edited:
An X-terra 705 sounds right up your alley. :waytogo:

It will do everything that you want, probably smoother than just about anything.

All the major brands offer models with ground balance. The secret is to get one that ground balances in discrimination mode. Now that you know what to look for, get busy on the internet and do your research. Of the many machines available, you should be able to find several that will match your requirements.

HH

Back
Top Bottom