still in shock... and confused.

wally76

found this in the woods behind my grandmothers house... in maine! it was 5 inches down, when i pulled it out of the ground i assumed it was from world war two, but after sending a photo of it to my dad he told me it was a civil war buckle. ive never heard of any civil war activity up here, my grandmother told me the house was also used as a stagecoach stop at one time, other than that i have no idea how or why that buckle would be there.

Attachments

• CIMG0007.jpg
    CIMG0007.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 432
  • CIMG0008.jpg
    CIMG0008.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 412
im going to take it tomorrow to see if it is authentic, and i plan on scouring that area for the next few days.

Excellent find you have. It's called an 'Arrow back' buckle. I found a buckle last July in the play yard of an old school that has the 'puppy paw' back which is less common. Yours is in really great condition. It looks like almost full lead on the back. Do you see any makers name stamped across the middle of the back in the lead? That's where it would be. Mine doesn't have one because some of the lead has corroded away. It's probably worth about $200-$300. Maine sent a lot of men to the war, so yours could be from a returned soldier. How exciting for you and a good history lesson you can hold in your hand. I hope you take it to a person who will give you an honest appraisal and don't think of selling it till you've talked to at least 3 people. You have the internet, do some research on your own so you know what questions to ask. Good Luck hunting. : )

i cant see anything on the back, it is pitted pretty bad. history means more to me than money, so if it turns out to be authentic this baby is going in a nice display case. there were some men from my hometown that served in the 16th maine, but dont know of any that lived in this home.

I really hope it is real but the back looks funny to me. The ones i have found on the back are leaded. The lead turns a very bright white when in the ground. Your ground could be different and look different. Anyway i hope it is real. Get it checked!!!

Could be

I got a box plate in pa in a trash pit once,and a NC button in northern pa.Both were 100s of miles from cw sites.And if your place was a stop back then they may have camped around it.

Back
Top Bottom