If it weren't for the 8 Cops, I wouldn't have found it...

KirkS

Was at a Frolf course this evening, as I'm convinced jewelry goes flying every so often.

So I'm out there hunting, and I happen to look up and see a number of police cars on the north end of the park. About 3 minutes later, I hear shouting coming from the area of the police, so I look up and take off my headphones. I could tell they were looking in my direction, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. I had my headlamp on and around my neck, and I waved to them. One waved back, so I started walking towards them, making sure they could tell my machine wasn't a rifle or something. I could have sworn (from the distance) one guy was standing there like he was aiming at me, so I was careful not to do anything stupid.

Trekked all the way to them, and when I was sure they could hear me, I asked if they were talking to me. Nope. I counted 8 of them, and they were all looking out into the Frolf course. Had me a little worried that something was going down, so I asked if it was okay for me to be out there. They said no problem, and that was that. I realized later they were shouting at either a guy walking across the course, or a K-9 officer. One of them came up to me later and asked that I don't go north of where I was, as they were out there training the K-9 officer. That was pretty cool, all in all.

So to make a long story short (impossible with me, I know), when I was walking back to where I was, I figured, what the heck, might as well quick scan as I'm walking. And I got a hit. A nice, clean, upper right corner area hit that didn't jump around. I figured another quarter, so I started digging. Got about 6" down, and in a handful of sand, I could see a coin, but it wasn't the color I was used to seeing. It was white! A closer look, and I saw that I dug my first US silver coin, a 1941 Merc! Woohoo!

So if I hadn't walked to the cops, I never would have gotten to this coin. Thank you St Petersburg Police Department K-9 Division!

Attachments

• 20170328_1st-Merc-O.jpg
    20170328_1st-Merc-O.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 352
  • 20170328_1st-Merc-R.jpg
    20170328_1st-Merc-R.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 355
Frisbee golf is very fun, late last season I was hunting near a course and found a shield nickel and barber dime, also found a couple of lost disks I can use next time I play. Great work on the merc congrats!

They just put a frisbee golf course into one of our local parks a year or two ago. I've been all over that park probably 40-50 times in the past few years and never really got much of anything worth mentioning out of it. Heck I think I've found more clad in the woods than this park. I do think pulltabs mate and multiple there though. Can't walk 2 steps without hitting one of them. May give it another year or two and follow the frisbe route. may get lucky. Nice score on your first merc.

We have some Frolf courses here...I take a look at the participants..mainly dirty poor dope smoking bearded hippys without a pot or window...yet, I do look for the married Left hander adults that might be slinging disc...I could see that...

On the off chance that a heavy Mens gold ring may go flying from a left handed married Frolfer? Sure...it makes sense...The Archery/Golf Industry knows theres only 7 Leftys out of 100 and build production accordingly...I assume that accurate demographic research tranlastes into Frolfing....Except, For an Frolfer disc slinger? I doubt any of those 7 Lefties are married and wear gold anyway...

Really though, on an Frolf course, the gold is in the totlot where the GF is waiting with the kids...and then its likely to be a little 10k 2 grammer...If that...Frolfing hippy Males typically do not marry Women, they aint into that Man...They never carry any money, on account of they dont have any...just a Speedy Rewards cards if anything..Unlike Golfers, they pride themselves and judge each other on their comparative pisspoordomness..so that little 10k score in the totter from a waiting Frolfers GF is a long shot aberration at best, and most likely a carry over from the GF's first marriage.....

Frolfers dont have any money to speak of, and if they do, they spend it on discs or dope or some sort of bottled tea, and not even those cast off Tea cans have any redemption value! Non-Carbonated! Right through the State loophole on the redemption value!...

You find more Bic Lighters than anything, they fall out of a tee shirt pocket when a Frolfer bends over to pick up their disc...Frolfers are minimalist hippys...No money at all! You are lucky to find a macramay friendship bracelet tracking these Frolf peckerwoods...Although, they do value their discs! If you can find one, thats a $20 bill all day long!:laughing:

Nope..hunting errant losses from Frolfers is a waste of time...head on over to the BB court where the Gold Chain wearing Brothers hang out...Location, Location, Location! Less walking involved too..

Last edited:
We have some Frolf courses here...I take a look at the participants..mainly dirty poor dope smoking bearded hippys without a pot or window...yet, I do look for the married Left hander adults that might be slinging disc...I could see that...

On the off chance that a heavy Mens gold ring may go flying from a left handed married Frolfer? Sure...it makes sense...The Archery/Golf Industry knows theres only 7 Leftys out of 100 and build production accordingly...I assume that accurate demographic research tranlastes into Frolfing....Except, For an Frolfer disc slinger? I doubt any of those 7 Lefties are married and wear gold anyway...

Really though, on an Frolf course, the gold is in the totlot where the GF is waiting with the kids...and then its likely to be a little 10k 2 grammer...If that...Frolfing hippy Males typically do not marry Women, they aint into that Man...They never carry any money, on account of they dont have any...just a Speedy Rewards cards if anything..Unlike Golfers, they pride themselves and judge each other on their comparative pisspoordomness..so that little 10k score in the totter from a waiting Frolfers GF is a long shot aberration at best, and most likely a carry over from the GF's first marriage.....

Frolfers dont have any money to speak of, and if they do, they spend it on discs or dope or some sort of bottled tea, and not even those cast off Tea cans have any redemption value! Non-Carbonated! Right through the State loophole on the redemption value!...

You find more Bic Lighters than anything, they fall out of a tee shirt pocket when a Frolfer bends over to pick up their disc...Frolfers are minimalist hippys...No money at all! You are lucky to find a macramay friendship bracelet tracking these Frolf peckerwoods...Although, they do value their discs! If you can find one, thats a $20 bill all day long!:laughing:

Nope..hunting errant losses from Frolfers is a waste of time...head on over to the BB court where the Gold Chain wearing Brothers hang out...Location, Location, Location! Less walking involved too..

"carryover from the first marriage" I can't stop laughing!

Well said! The stories behind the finds are where the entertainment value here is!:laughing:

I agree. There's nothing quite like a good find-story.

One of my favorites was with my son. I was teaching him to dig more signals with the ACE series, in the first year we were detecting together... and I stopped and hit a signal behind him. He said, "why dig that, it's bouncy, and rings up foil!" I told him, "Because they can be chains and pendants, or gold" I dug up a chain and pendant. It was like "instant lesson." Best visual aid, EVER. LOL

He started finding gold, shortly after that hunt.

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom