Cleaning my local park one pull tab at a time

chevysoldier

Last couple days I spent a few hours in the park behind my house. No more class rings have been found though...
SKzER51.jpg

The dirt yella game is not an easy game and can deter even a seasoned detectorist very quickly. If your hunting for gold in the dirt better be prepared to dig a lot trash with very little reward. This is how I usually tackle my hunting areas. I'll cherry pick mostly high tones and come back and dig the midtones when I feel like it. Most people hunt for high tones, so I'm not too worried about leaving the midtones in the ground because, they will more than likely be there when I return. HH!

I've dug several thousand pull tabs in the last couple years, I've not found gold yet. Locations are mostly county lakefront parks. I even dedicate every 5 or six hunts to digging mid-tones...still hoping.

I dig thousands of pull rings beaver tails and square taps they all sound like gold sometimes id the same as well but I find gold not to often in the dirt most is in play scapes and in the water odds are every time you pic up junk the chances get better and better next time could be the one at least every time I hunt I get the thrill of the chase best treasure of all most gold i have found has been a deep faint signal but I dug anyway the loud tones that sound to good to be true usually are good luck never really know what you will find

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I dig thousands of pull rings beaver tails and square taps they all sound like gold sometimes id the same as well but I find gold not to often in the dirt most is in play scapes and in the water odds are every time you pic up junk the chances get better and better next time could be the one at least every time I hunt I get the thrill of the chase best treasure of all most gold i have found has been a deep faint signal but I dug anyway the loud tones that sound to good to be true usually are good luck never really know what you will find

I've been digging all the strong tones I get. But if I get a tone from one one angle then rotate and don't get a tone, I don't usually dig. Is this good practice or should I be digging no matter what?

Yup, reminds me of when I played in bands. Loved getting up and performing but hated all the time and trouble of setting up the equipment. Sometimes you just got to go through a lot of bad to get to the good.

Could be a broken or crushed ring or chain maby. Sometimes a junk chain with a good charm will get discriminated I like to dig in all metal and check with discrimination

Yeah, I've done a lot of that in the last few weeks. Some of those pull-tabs, though come up gold. Those are the ones I'm trying to remove the most of, LOL

Skippy

If you keep digging tabs, you will find good stuff in that range most choose not to investigate.Good luck and may you pull a gold ring soon for your effort.:yes:

I've been digging all the strong tones I get. But if I get a tone from one one angle then rotate and don't get a tone, I don't usually dig. Is this good practice or should I be digging no matter what?

My son recently pulled a gold ring out at 37. THIRTY SEVEN on the AT Pro. I was floored. had a break in the band that was soldered back. That's the only explanation I have for a small 1.4 gram 14Kw/diamond ring.

Really, though, it's not whether or not you're pulling pull tabs.. .it's are you in a location that you're going to find a gold ring? Tom in CA taught me this principle a few years back. Told me, when I got started that you can pull ten thousand pull tabs without ever finding a gold, if you're out looking for pull tabs. Changed my view of parks, forever. I don't detect around trash cans anymore, hoping that my pull-tab findings will result in gold. I now think, "where would people take off rings?"

That changes EVERYTHING. Where do coaches, Dad's, Moms and kids play with, remove rings, take them off and set them down to "not lose them." Sure, I've run across rings in odd places, but almost all of the gold rings are explainable with "lost while playing," or "lost because it was put down after removing."

Those are the areas I target. The first target zone is freaking HUGE, though... It's the area where people who are throwing balls around or frisbees or whatever, will drop them. The rest of the areas, are pretty isolated to places people put gear down when playing sports, or where Mom's put rings down to keep them safe while playing, or when they remove their rings while greasing up kids with sunscreen.

Just think a little bit differently... You'll find more gold, and less pop tabs. :)

Just so you know I'm not blowing smoke... I found my 36th gold ring this month. I've also found 1 platinum and about 80 silver ones, along with HUNDREDS of junkers. I started detecting 26 months ago.

100% of the gold rings were found on land, in city parks, or in school yards. Of those 36 rings, only two were found in bark lots. The rest in the grass.

I could "possibly" attribute it to lack of detectorists, but I see plenty of them out there in the parks. I think most of those guys detect high ranges, though, and pull silver out more... People just lose a LOT of stuff!

Cheers!

Skippy.

Just so you know I'm not blowing smoke... I found my 36th gold ring this month. I've also found 1 platinum and about 80 silver ones, along with HUNDREDS of junkers. I started detecting 26 months ago.

100% of the gold rings were found on land, in city parks, or in school yards. Of those 36 rings, only two were found in bark lots. The rest in the grass.
... People just lose a LOT of stuff!

I was just having this conversation with my wife in the last week. I've found three silver rings in the past month, plus a couple silver pendants. So my thought was, there just *has* to be gold out there, right? I mean...gold isn't any harder to lose than silver, is it? My wife was thinking that there's just more silver jewelry hanging on people than gold. But as I look around, I can't say that I see more silver than gold on folks...especially rings. Just about all of the rings I see are gold.

Which brings me back to my original thought (backed up by your finds)...gold has to be out there. So far in 7 years of detecting, I've found 2 gold rings and two other gold trinkets (last one was 2 years ago). Compared to handfuls of silver - typically at least one every other week. I must be doing something wrong...maybe your (Tom's) thoughts apply to me too. I can't say that I'm particularly cherry picking or avoiding mid tones. I just need to take inventory of my detecting habits I guess.

Back
Top Bottom