First Morgan Dollar

flysar

Detecting a 1910 home, yard and garden, was a complete bust, only a little clad.
Under the large "L" shaped porch wasn't any better until the final swing. About 3" deep along the foundation I got a sweet tone and was thinking quarter and hoping silver.
Big surprise when I turned over the plug and lying flat was a 1882 cc Morgan Dollar. My oldest coin and largest silver!
picture.php

Welcome to the silver dollar club!!!!

Looks like she was sleeping with some iron for a long time....

Huge congrats!!!

<°)))>{

Welcome to the silver dollar club!!!!

Looks like she was sleeping with some iron for a long time....

Huge congrats!!!

<°)))>{

Definitely not as shiny as other silver I've dug but she's still pretty.
Since she's well worn I could probably hit it with baking soda without affecting the value, what would you do?

Since she's well worn I could probably hit it with baking soda without affecting the value, what would you do?

Tough call.. I'd probably clean her up, if she isn't a special key date.. Either way, cleaned, or environmental damage, it's not going to be sought after by a museum...

I cleaned my only silver dollar, but like yours, mine was environment damaged also, but much worse..

Congrats again!!

<°)))>{

Great Job. and Welcome to the club. Now did you really get anything else done the rest of the day or did you spend it being touchy feely with your new find ??

I would suggest electrolysis to clean it up. It would not remove any silver, but would remove the discoloration. That is a great find and CC mint mark is really hard to come across detecting.:yes: Congratulations.

Great Job. and Welcome to the club. Now did you really get anything else done the rest of the day or did you spend it being touchy feely with your new find ??

I haven't stored it with my other silver yet.
Amazing to look at... age and size!

Second only to the holy grail, congrats!!!!

I'd poop a brick finding a Morgan!!!

Lol! You ain't kidding! I might poop an entire wall! A Morgan AND Carson City mint mark....VERY hard to top that. Just goes to show,persistence and patience in the right site can yield SPECTACULAR finds!!
Congratulations Flysar!

Back
Top Bottom