• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Which Detector should I buy?

yeddy11

I've got 300$ and never did any metal detecting before. What machines do you recommend?
Edit: 300$ for just the detector , the pinpointer and shovel aren't included!
Cheers

Last edited:
I think I would suggest the Tesoro Mojave. It's an analog machine (ie, no digital display), but I think it would serve a new user well for quite some time. You can get additional coils, which is a bonus, and it is easy to use.

Potential downside to an analog unit is if you decide to upgrade in the future, you'll have a new learning curve if you go to a digital machine.

If $300 is your entire budget to get started in the hobby, then I would suggest the Tesoro Compadre. It's a great little machine, and new it's only $160 (with a lifetime warranty). Along with a machine, you'll also need things like a finds pouch ($4 - $40), digger ($5 - $50), and it is highly recommended to get a handheld pinpointer ($120 - 150 for a good one).

There are lots of entry level digital machines, but IMO, the problem with those is that you'll outgrow them pretty quickly if you decide to stay with the hobby, and the resale on them isn't that great. Just my 2¢...

Watch some videos and determine if you want a machine that gives you target numbers (VDI) or if you just want one that uses sound. For the most part Tesoros are the sound only. There are a ton of VDI ones in your range. Shop around and look at videos of the machines that interest you then contact one of this site's sponsors for a great deal.

You have choices.

In the long run,,starting out with a meter less detector will make you a better detectorist.

You better get ready for some hard work if you buy meter less detector and have some patience too.

I hear good things about the Tesoro Mojave,,,I haven't used one.

Eh I'm going against the grain on the meterless and would say that's something to try once you have more experience. IMO anyway.

You'll get a lot of suggestions in every direction, try some out if there's a dealer near by or friends and some videos are helpful also.

Eh I'm going against the grain on the meterless and would say that's something to try once you have more experience. IMO anyway.

You'll get a lot of suggestions in every direction, try some out if there's a dealer near by or friends and some videos are helpful also.

I totally agree with you.

A good Fisher F2 would be a good one to start with.

How about a ACE 400

Hi, I have a new, factory fresh ACE 400 in the box that has never been assembled . Comes with the 8.5x11 DD coil, coil scuff cover, control box cover, Garrett headphones, arm strap, and users manual. I can ship it to you (lower 48 states) for $285.:thumbsup: Deal of the year. Ron

Hi, I have a new, factory fresh ACE 400 in the box that has never been assembled . Comes with the 8.5x11 DD coil, coil scuff cover, control box cover, Garrett headphones, arm strap, and users manual. I can ship it to you (lower 48 states) for $285.[emoji106] Deal of the year. Ron
I guess you won't be able to ship to Germany

For 251 bucks the Tesoro Mojave is by far the best in that price range. It has a super recovery speed for working in trashy environments like square nails and small flat tin. It also has the uncanny ability to work in just about any soil quietly with that mineral switch. I have one homestead/railroad camp that is 5 bar soil on the F75 and a reading of 10 6 on the CTX that the Mojave runs pretty smooth with the mineral switch on high with respectable depth. For the money this machine can't be beat.

Back
Top Bottom