does this exist?

Huskerfan72

In the fairly short time that I've been metal detecting, I've basically always used just a Lesche to cut plugs and retrieve targets. I am in a wheelchair and only have use of my left arm. When I locate a target, I just lean over the side of my chair and cut the plug and recover the target. After a long day of detecting, my side gets pretty sore. I've considered some the long-handled shovels, but my legs don't work, so I can't drive it into the ground. That made me wonder if there is a shovel out there that has a slide weight towards the top of the handle that helps drive the blade in. That would save some wear and tear on my ribs, and it would help me start with deeper, neater plugs. Has anyone heard of such a tool? I could probably get my son to help me custom-make one, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel if it already exists. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Dang, you are hard core. I have not seen anything like this out there, but I have not been really looking either.

What you need to do is get a chair attachment that is similar to what geologists use to take core soil samples, but powered with either compressed air or pneumatic. Rig a laser pinpointer to mark the spot and BOOM! Plug cut, perfect circle with all the dirt in a tube.

That would be sweet!

I was thinking maybe your son could modify a chisel (add digger head) that goes to a pnuematic impact tool of some kind. Mount a compressor on the chair somewhere... Just a thought....:D

Seems like alot of work, but a small post driver over the handle of a shovel might work too. Hope you find an answer bud. Keep on keeping on, you're inspirational!

have you looked on some of the sponcers web links on here?maybe contact some of them,they could use your idea,and make you somthing,seams more and more disabled people are getting involved,so there is a market for tools that are adjusted to different conditions.you are an insperation to those that dont think they can do this,thank you for showing us that !

Could you maybe use a T Handle sampson? It may not self drive, but you wouldn't have to bend over as far, and it's sharp and serrated.

Here is an idea:

Buy a trenching shovel that has a fairly linear line from the blade to the handle.....cut off the handle and use a simple fence post driver.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...sa=X&ei=YakMT5xE44myArWSiNwF&ved=0CHoQ8wIwAA#

These are for small metal posts and would not be too cumbersome (or so I would think). Or, you could have a welder fabricate a smaller version out of metal pipe that would weigh less...maybe in the 10# range.

You could roll directly up to it, and then cut the plug in front of you.

Sounds like you have the right idea. I'd think Predator tool, narrow, sharp, with a modification allowing a post driver function. Handles straight in the line it needs to be. Good luck and "you go".

Last edited:
I know the technology is out there....

I have seen the same principle being used in auto shops and small engine. For pulling things out of tight locations. Works just like you described only in reverse. In short you attach said tool to "whatever" and slide the weight out to the end of the shaft. Whack, whack, whack ! Works great.
I bet a modification to one of the shovels recommended could be done. I can think of a few ideas right off the top of my head.
Worse comes to worse go to a machine shop with some ideas and see what they think.
Good luck !
Marty

Here's something I made a couple years ago. Never used it, was just bored. There's a plunger inside that comes out the top end so it can be inverted, tapped on the dirt, and push out the plug.

tallPC.jpg

Something similar (a little shorter), combined with the slide hammer weight you mentioned might do the trick.

If you aren't in a hurry for it (maybe a month?), I'd be willing to work with you and make you one. I'll ship it to you and if you like it, repay me the shipping cost. If you don't, you don't owe me anything.

Keep me in mind, and PM me if I can help.

I really appreciate all of the ideas. Weezbad, that thing you posted has the type of slide weight I was envisioning. I wonder if a guy could get ahold on just the weight? Then you could weld a collar on a Predator and use the slide weight to drive it. Gauntlet, that tool looks intriguing, but my pinpointing skills aren't that refined. It might have to do with interference from my chair, I'm not sure. I tend to have bigger plugs, though.

Gauntlet, that tool looks intriguing, but my pinpointing skills aren't that refined. It might have to do with interference from my chair, I'm not sure. I tend to have bigger plugs, though.

The cutter on the end is 2.5". The handle is over 4' tall so it just looks small :D

It could be 6" diameter if needed. Just keep in mind the more hammering you do, the more it will wear on your arm.

I'm not sure what your capabilities are, but have you thought about getting yourself lower to the ground (if that's even a possibility)?

you could take that drawing to any local community college that has a machine or welding shop and they will likely make you one. the problem is fitting it to you and the chair, trying to keep the weigh and cumbersomeness of it down.

Last edited:
here is kind of what I'm think. I'll try to attach this picture. Then weld some sort of collar about half way down the handle. What do you all think?

Attachments

• raven2.jpg
    raven2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 2,247
Back
Top Bottom