• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Coin roll hunting... I think it's....

Timo

Ok so I have read some threads about coin roll hunting and while it might seem obvious so you folks I have never heard of this before (kinda new to all this). From reading I put together that it's when you buy/exchange cash for coins from your bank. Like $1000 for a thousand dollars worth of 50 cent pieces, etc. Then you check the coins for good/rare finds. Is that correct? Also, does a bank charge a fee for this kind of exchange? Thanks for any info!

Tim

Most banks wont charge a fee for ordering boxes of coins, but a few will and many credit unions do. Banks do incur a cost to bring them in though so you should be a customer of theirs. Lastly, it's good practice to have a second branch to turn your coins into since banks don't like ordering coins in for you only to have you bring them back to them a few days later.

One final point- if you have cash, most any bank will sell you rolls that they have on hand. Just be sure to check them if they are short before you leave the bank- if you are not a customer and they are short, banks wont want to correct the situation after you leave.

I started doing this in 1955. Hey, we were poor. My friend and I would pool our money (Two Bucks) and ride to the bank on our bicycles. Then come home and look thru those pennies. When we found a 14-D or some other valuable coin, it went into our collections. I found IHs and very early Lincolns.I still have an uncirculated 1909VDB in my collection:)

Back then, the pickings were very good. I have fond memories of those bike trips.

Colin

Back
Top Bottom