Could this be a ring?

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Interesting Father's Day so far. Took the 800 for a first in relic hunting at an old site of two forts dating from the 1840's-1850's. Found what looks to me to be a broken ring. It passes the magnet test so it isn't iron. Also found a US insignia. Looks to me to be more modern than the stuff I usually find like musket balls, percussion caps and coins from 1835 to 1841. It's an open field. what do you think?

Thanks

ft-ring-6-17-2018.jpg

Look like some kind of design or am I imagining things?

ft-ring-1.jpg

ft-ring-2.jpg

Insignia.

Ft-6-17-2018.jpg

Last edited:
I would think if it was from a toy it would be magnetic?

Most toy guns are pot metal, mostly zinc, and not magnetic... For an alloy to be noticably magnetic, it must contain iron, and will be rusty.. Exceptions are pure nickel, and even non rusting stainless is still slightly magnetic..

That looks like half a ring to me.. An old one at that. Looks like it could be silver, that's how silver looks that comes out of water, and wet areas..

<°)))>{

Looks like it could be silver, that's how silver looks that comes out of water, and wet areas..

Looks just like the color of the 1835 half dime I dug not more than 50' from it. The half dime was so black I couldn't even tell what it was until I looked at the back and could identify the eagle and a .5 at the bottom. Still didn't know it was a capped bust until I got home and cleaned it the best I could without damaging it. It's still black on one side.

Looks like a broke silver ring. Wrap it in foil and soak in vinegar for 5 minutes,then rub with baking soda. The foil works quick on silver to soften the black. If its something else it may not knock any of it off. Broke Tungsten also looks like that.

Forgot to add it does look like a really old ring design done by etching like on a gun.

Back
Top Bottom