Coin Storage and Organization

Jeepfreak81

Hey all, so as I keep going through rolls of pennies and nickles I'm also revisiting my coin collection. I have probably a dozen coin folders for the common things, pennies, nicks, dimes, state quarters, etc. However, I'm wondering what everyone's proffered method of storage is? Most serious numismatists will say archival quality albums, but that's not in the budget, plus about 90% of my coins come from circulation.

Just wondering what everyone's doing for storage and organization. I'm thinking of going to 2" 3-ring binders with 2X2 20 pocket pages. That could be a lot of work/money in the long run but probably better than folders. Ideas and thoughts?

Here's what I use. Works like a charm! I know where all my coins are.

588ab6994b48f5ce4fd65a8d57588b34.jpg

Here's what I use. Works like a charm! I know where all my coins are.

588ab6994b48f5ce4fd65a8d57588b34.jpg

This is not all that far from my reality either. Most of my circulated silver coins are in a giant bag...unless they are truly collectible because of their date or condition. Then I will either place them in a book or in a protector. All of my collectible gold is in "slabs".

That's just me though... I feel like once most coins are even moderately circulated their value doesn't ride as much on condition.

My first 2 years, I put all my silver and better finds in BCW coin slabs. Then i started using 2x2 coin holders. Now I have a small treasure chest and just toss it all in there. If I started over, i'd avoid the BCW holders. Now I have probably $20 face value of 90% silver coins in holders that are worth as much as the coin in them. Total waste, not to mention takes up storage space.

My advice, just buy plastic coin tubes and put your coins in them, or use 2x2's. Unless you dig a rarity, there's no point in spending more money on coin supplies.

I use 2x2 cardboard coin holders with the mylar window. You can get good quality ones from eBay for around 5c/holder. They usually come in packs of 50, and you can get them in various sizes too.

My first 2 years, I put all my silver and better finds in BCW coin slabs. Then i started using 2x2 coin holders. Now I have a small treasure chest and just toss it all in there. If I started over, i'd avoid the BCW holders. Now I have probably $20 face value of 90% silver coins in holders that are worth as much as the coin in them. Total waste, not to mention takes up storage space.

My advice, just buy plastic coin tubes and put your coins in them, or use 2x2's. Unless you dig a rarity, there's no point in spending more money on coin supplies.

Good advice here. No point in doing anymore more than a 2x2 for most coins - or a mylar flip if you dont like staples.

I have several hundred dug silvers in the 2x2's, inserted into the plastic leaf 3-ring binder. All labeled with location and date found. I also have a folder for copper and misc dug coinage. Very easy viewing.

The bullion and junk silver go into plastic coin-lok tubes.

+1 on the coin tubes, I bought a bunch of em on E-bay that are square on the outside, makes for easy stacking and very sturdy too.

This might be a good option for parts of my collection, especially pennies like the 2017-P

I use 2x2 cardboard coin holders with the mylar window. You can get good quality ones from eBay for around 5c/holder. They usually come in packs of 50, and you can get them in various sizes too.

Ya I have some 2X2's which right now mostly are in a box, I'll check out eBay as 5 cents is a pretty good price

Good advice, I'll steer clear of the slabs unless I feel I have something special I've dug or found while CRHing

Good advice here. No point in doing anymore more than a 2x2 for most coins - or a mylar flip if you dont like staples.

I hate staples, but I also hate the flips as I have to insert white paper for something to write the info on. Littleton Coin does have some Self sealing 2X2's, but it's like $9 for 50 of them.

I have several hundred dug silvers in the 2x2's, inserted into the plastic leaf 3-ring binder. All labeled with location and date found. I also have a folder for copper and misc dug coinage. Very easy viewing.

The bullion and junk silver go into plastic coin-lok tubes.

2X2's in a 3 ring binder sounds like the way to go. Relatively cost effective and easy to organize. I had this thought before but wanted to see what other people were doing.

I may just keep the pennies in my penny folders unless I get something special, no sense in spending 10 cents to store a penny worth less than that.

I put my "good" found coins in the 2" x 2" then keep them in a coin folder with the plastic sleeve. Its my "brag book" to my fellow hunters and customers, lol

When KT started CRHing several years back, His Majesty put every coin in a stapled flip, a hold-over of His many young years as a Kinglet when He was into coin collecting and filling albums. But as time passed KT saw the wisdom in putting silver coins and others that were to be hoarded in tubes...easier to handle and much smaller storage space, as well as more economical. If KT comes across a real collectible coin, if gets put in a stapled flip, just so He can easily show it off if a visitor to the Castle has a special interest...once in rolls and at the end of each year, everything is inventoried and stored in Ye Royal Treasure Chest in one of the special rooms in the Royal Dungeon! :laughing::laughing:

I use the Coin Folders by Whitman and H.E. Harris, but I like the ones by H.E. Harris more. They're working well for me, and, eventually I will put any Silver that are duplicates of ones that I already have in plastic Coin tubes. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom