Earbuds and Garrett At Pro

altereddezignz

Reading on the Garrett website the headphone or earbud adaptor will only allow specific headphones to shut the internal speaker off.
"OPERATION NOTES: Inserting the headphone plug into the connector will provide sound from the headphones only and will automatically disable the detector's speaker. This automatic speaker-disable feature requires the input impedance of the headphones to be 10,000 ohms or less.
Note that some non-Garrett headphones may not meet this requirement and will require the addition of a 10,000 ohm termination resistor inside the connector to disable the speaker."

Has anyone used this with earbuds and it shut off the internal speaker?

Reading on the Garrett website the headphone or earbud adaptor will only allow specific headphones to shut the internal speaker off.
"OPERATION NOTES: Inserting the headphone plug into the connector will provide sound from the headphones only and will automatically disable the detector's speaker. This automatic speaker-disable feature requires the input impedance of the headphones to be 10,000 ohms or less.
Note that some non-Garrett headphones may not meet this requirement and will require the addition of a 10,000 ohm termination resistor inside the connector to disable the speaker."

Has anyone used this with earbuds and it shut off the internal speaker?

Every electronic audio appliance i have ever used (radios,cd players cell phones.etc.) allways shut off the speaker when the phones were plugged in...even a 1/4 inch adapter to the smaller plug (without even having phones plugged into adapter yet) will shut off speakers when u plug em in...i didnt know it had anything to do with amount of ohms...hmm...learn something everyday

Every electronic audio appliance i have ever used (radios,cd players cell phones.etc.) allways shut off the speaker when the phones were plugged in...even a 1/4 inch adapter to the smaller plug (without even having phones plugged into adapter yet) will shut off speakers when u plug em in...i didnt know it had anything to do with amount of ohms...hmm...learn something everyday

The plug on the ATP is not a stand audio plug due to the fact the machine is water prof. So they probably use a soft switch rather then mechanical as a standard phone jack has.

I had this issue when first using regular headphones on my AT pro. I inline volume solved that as an inline volume has the 10K resistor built in if I remember correctly. I use wireless earbuds with no issues and use the inline volume on all my AT Pros.

I'm using the Sennheiser earbuds with the adapter and they cut off the speaker.

This is the setup I used for about a year. I ended up going back to the Garrett Headphones, because the tones were slightly different, and there is more outside noise, with the earbuds. I bought the volume control and 1/4 to 1/8 inch adaptor from Radio Shack. The volume control in a little frgile so I got the warranty which paid for itself.

Attachments

• 100_3606 (480x640).jpg
    100_3606 (480x640).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 764
  • 100_3607 (640x480).jpg
    100_3607 (640x480).jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 665
Still debating on the detector but i would be using the garrett adaptor for the headphone plugs so i think they allow it to stay waterproof but i am not sure.

I have been using earbuds for about a year with the ATP. I use a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adaptor. Not all earbuds are the same and I tried quite a few until I found a pair that sounded good. With some of them I could not hear the faint sounds well enough. However, it is possible that I still may be missing the really faint tones. The ones I use are not quite as good as the full headphones, however they are cooler in the summer and do let me hear what is going on around me. I use the full headphones in the cold months.

Back
Top Bottom